We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highland Inner Iceland Superjeep Tour review

orlando
Level Contributor
612 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Highland Inner Iceland Superjeep Tour review

On our second day in Iceland, we hired a private tour guide (Icelandic Guide from these forums) who took us on the most amazing tour of our lives! He picked us up at our bed and breakfast in Hella and drove us up through Hrauneyjar into the deep interior of the highlands. He was so warm and friendly, we enjoyed his company very much. It was like being driven around by an old friend rather than just a tour guide operator. In addition, the landscape, the scenery, the colors, they seemed surreal (like something out of a Dali painting).

Wow, that man can drive! We drove up and down hills, mountains, and through snow drifts. He made the driving seem so effortless, I felt very safe. Before the trip started, hubby and I talked about how we hoped that he would point out the famous Hekla volcano. Well, he didn’t point out the volcano to us, he drove us right up to it’s doorstep! At one point, we got a little stuck in the snow, but this only gave me the opportunity to hike up the snow covered mountain and sit on a rock gazing out as far as my eyes could see filled with mountain landscapes. It was just so nice to listen to the “silence.”

We aren’t very well versed in the geographical landmarks names, even though I planned this vacation well over a year in advance. Icelandic Guide seemed to know everything about everywhere we went, it was fascinating to listen to him describe the things that we were seeing. He has a long familial history around the area, his grandparents even owned a farm near Hekla. The tour lasted all day long, with each site becoming more exciting than the last! He even took us to the famous Landmannalaugar hot springs, but after changing into our suits, both hubby and I were too chicken (cold) to jump in. But they were beautiful 

On the way home, he even stopped at a nearby farm. The owners of the farm were so warm and welcoming and even let me hold one of the calfs. 

When hubby is able to upload the photos, I will post the link so you can see!

For anyone that is thinking of travelling to Iceland, I must say that if at all possible, bite the bullet and hire the private superjeep tour guide, it will be the experience of a lifetime!

P.S. Sorry mods, I changed the title of my post so that it might be most useful to other readers to find a review on this subject

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highland Inner Iceland Superjeep Tour review

Thank you for these kind words, Borkur, guide for www.tourguide.is

orlando
Level Contributor
612 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highland Inner Iceland Superjeep Tour review

Thank you for replying to my question about your site, I want to post another review in it's proper spot!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highland Inner Iceland Superjeep Tour review

great to hear you had an amazing experience! My family are thinking of going to iceland in Jan '13. just wondering how long your tour was and how much? and what made you decide to join a private tour for this part of iceland?

thanks!

Florida
Level Contributor
443 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highland Inner Iceland Superjeep Tour review

The highlands are mostly F-Roads and some lets just say interesting driving to put it mildly. Many tourist do go in summer but in late autumn/winter most of the roads are closed or marked impassable. As my wife mentioned even in a super jeep we got stuck in snow, good luck if that happens to you. Secondly, you would never see the sights our guide took us to simply because you would not know where to go and the highlands are HUGE. Our tour was all day 9-19:30 as for pricing please contact Icelandic guide as he can help you with that.

Edited: 2:17 pm, October 12, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highland Inner Iceland Superjeep Tour review

I would love to see some of your pics. We are considering this tour to get to the hard parts. Did you rent a car after this? HOw many days did you visit? We are hikers so would like to see some national park areas. Did you get out and hike on the superjeep tour?

6. Re: Highland Inner Iceland Superjeep Tour review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 08, 2014