We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More Northern Lights!!

Florida
Level Contributor
460 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
More Northern Lights!!

This was started by my wife In her daily trip reports but I wanted to pull out the aurora photos to their own thread...

This is 2 days worth, the first set some of you have seen was from day 1 in Hella, very faint to naked eye but the camera dies not lie.

Day 3 OMG locals said it was one of the best displays they have ever seen over Skaftafell. They were right overhead us and so big I could not capture the overhead display even at 18mm! I am an amateur so quality varies as I tried different exposure settings. Words will never do seeing the aurora with your own eyes any justice, so I won't even try.

I uploaded them to same gallery but you will see a clear difference in quality.

Enough talk ENJOY!

http://robandrobyn.zenfolio.com/p681068813

orlando
Level Contributor
612 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: More Northern Lights!!

Hubby posted under my name (Rob) on accident. If you are unable to meet us before we leave, I would be happy to send you the flashlight and don't worry about the glove. It is hotter than heck where we live 362 days out of the year! I am so envious of you, where we live it is noisy, polluted, congested, and overpopulated. This seems like my idea of nirvana!

orlando
Level Contributor
612 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: More Northern Lights!!

Dangit, I posted in the wrong thread. What I meant to say here is that hubby accidently posted under my name. If you are unable to meet us, I would happily send you the flashlight and don't worry about the glove. I feel so bad that I accidently didn't give it back to you! We will be talking about that tour we took with you for years and years to come! Definitely the coolest thing that we have ever done.

Florida
Level Contributor
460 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: More Northern Lights!!

Gallery finally updated with AMAZING red and purple aurora photos. We had TWO nights of kp 4 or greater and activity levels of 9-10 (the max) so it does not get much better than that.

As usual igore the duds/test shots,when I get home will sort it all out.

This is sadly the last update as our trip ends Friday... We could have seen the lights last night, would have been a weak display, but we chose to endulge in the capital and have a night on the town.

Tonight will be clear but activity has waned quite a bit, but we will be watching the sky since this is our last night.

The displays we have seen locals said are the best in 50 years so we are so lucky and greatful, been the trip of a lifetime! We have had GREAT weather, great solar activity and MANY clear nights (anti-October weather but this country nothing is predictable), I think we have seen the lights at least 6 times. And oh yeah I have some thousands and thousands of photos of this magestic country too =)

Hope you have enjoyed the photos as much as we have enjoyed taking them.

Safe journeys all!

Edited: 3:38 am, October 18, 2012
Florida
Level Contributor
460 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: More Northern Lights!!

Lights gave us a comeback to Iceland tease last night for about 20 minutes, what a nice way to end a wonderfully successful trip.

7/12 nights could have been 8, but we decided to enjoy a night out and not go light hunting one clear and active night. Don't know how we can ever top this vacation, ever.

Thank whatever force brought us amazing weather, wildly active auroras and many clear nights.

Edited: 11:57 am, October 19, 2012
Iceland
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: More Northern Lights!!

Here are some good tours for The Northern Lights:

extremeiceland.is/en/…northern-lights

16. Re: More Northern Lights!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, December 15, 2013