We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seljavallalaug Swimming Pool

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Seljavallalaug Swimming Pool

does anyone know the approximate water temperature or if its comfortable for mid October swimming? It looks so lovely and remote, but I read the ice needs to be broken off at the start of summer.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seljavallalaug Swimming Pool

I can't tell you the approximate temperature. I went in early September when the sun was shining, but the wind was a bit chilly. The pool felt "not quite warm enough". There was one spot in the corner where the hot water was being piped in, and that felt great.

If you are in the area, it is a short walk to get to. Just stay in the corner near the hottest part.

Iceland
Level Contributor
826 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seljavallalaug Swimming Pool

It is about 23 C all year. I swim there every Xmas and New year day. The more wind and snow the merrier

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Seljavallalaug Swimming Pool

I was just there last week and felt that it was pretty warm. It definitely is cooler on the shallow end and warms up nearer to where the hot water enters. I think you'd be fine in October. Changing in and out of your clothes in the chilly weather is another thing entirely though.

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seljavallalaug Swimming Pool

I tried to find this pool last week but there appeared to be a construction project of some sort in the area. We parked at the outdoor pool and then walked about 20 minutes through a cleared out zone and crossed a rather precarious footbridge and stream and still couldn't see anything but a couple of tractors. Maybe we didn't go far enough?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seljavallalaug Swimming Pool

Didn't go far enough. I was there last week, on tuesday or wednesday. We took the gravel track to the very last house, then walked about ten minutes along the side of the hill with the construction zone between us and the stream, theres a worn path. It was on my phone's map but you don't see it till you're right upon it. its really lovely.

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seljavallalaug Swimming Pool

We were there Thursday. I am crushed we weren't intrepid enough to find it but very glad to know it is still there. Thanks!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seljavallalaug Swimming Pool

I might not have found it if it wasn't on the offline map application I downloaded for my smartphone before leaving. It showed the foot path and even a tiny icon for swimming at the end.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
734 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seljavallalaug Swimming Pool

is it mental to aim to go here next week!? too cold to change clothing outdoors, I mean really?

And can anyone recommend an offline map app for my smartphone, to enable us to find it if so....

BRRRR!

Thanks

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,200 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seljavallalaug Swimming Pool

This pool has been out of service for decades now, but water is still flowing through it. There is no facilities, and no cleaning of the water. The owners do not really want any traffic there, and can in no way be made responsible for accidents of any kind.

But because it is not fenced off, it is there and everyone which can find it can go there, but in reality it is trespassing, and visits to the place can not be recommended.

PS. one question: Where do you think people pee, since there is no toilet in the area ?

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
734 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seljavallalaug Swimming Pool

Thanks for your answer, I did wonder about this, it doesn't look overly appetising, but I keep reading that it's a hidden gem etc, so thought we may try to get over our British reticence and give it a whirl!?!

eg iheartreykjavik.net/2013/…

But naaah, we'll wait for Fontana Spa or Blue Lagoon...........!