We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland car rentals

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Iceland car rentals

Hello, I need some serious help. There is a large group of us coming to Iceland in September for a week. I would love some information on the best and most reliable car rentals companies available. I know of Hertz, geysir and goiceland.com. We would be picking the car up at the airport and dropping it off there. Suggestions please!!

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Geysir
Geysir
South Region, Iceland
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,371 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iceland car rentals

Well, Hertz and http://www.holdur.is/en are the biggest, and therefore the most reliable ones.

But, if there are many of you, you might be better off with a private, tailored tour. www.tour.is is very experienced in taking care of all the needs of a big group.

Edited: 4:49 pm, May 26, 2012
Sint-Lievens-Houtem...
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iceland car rentals

Hey,

What about goiceland.com? the Hyundai i20 is rather a "cheap" and reliable solution for our trip (small but spacey).

Anyone knows if goiceland.com is trustworthy?

thanks!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,371 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iceland car rentals

,,Small but spacey"

How can one of the smallest vehicles on the roads be spacey ? Compared to matchbox maybe.

Absolutely not recommended for the winter.

Florida
Level Contributor
461 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iceland car rentals

Blue, they have mid size SUVs at reasonable rates and include ALL insurances albeit at higher deductibles if something happens...

Sint-Lievens-Houtem...
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iceland car rentals

The Huyndai has a little more space than the other small cars like Ford Ka . I know the car will be fully packed but prices for bigger cars (+ insurance) are above my budget. And we're visiting in July so I guess that's ok?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,371 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iceland car rentals

You couldn´t pay me enough to take this vehicle to the roads with someone I love. The wheels are small, and you will feel every bump, and gust of wind. But of course it is always ones choice.

Personally I wouldn´t go with anything smaller than a Toyota Yaris, and then stick to the main roads.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Iceland car rentals

I loved Blue car rentals! You should check them out.

Madrid, Spain
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Iceland car rentals

I am going to tell you my experience with BLUE CAR Rental. It is cheaper than other companies in Iceland but I discovered why. Because when you returned the car, they asked you to pay great amounts of money even when you have paid for all the available assurance.

In my case, one of the back windows of the car was broken because of the grave in the ring road when another car passed near us. We called BLUE CAR and they told us that we were very far from Reikiavik so that we should try to mend it with some plastics or what we would like. They told us that they will call us back with a solution the following day and NOBODY called back during the following 6 days. So we need to mend the window with tape as we could (and pay from our pocket 5000 ISK) and they refused to solve our problem. Finally we had to continue the journey with a broken window (quite unconfortable). I need to sum up that although we paid more for choosing a “new car”, they gave us a car with 60.000 km and quite old (they insisted on telling that it was a new one, how will their old models be….?)

When we returned the car they asked us to pay 150.000 ISK because of the broken window. Do you seriously think that a window from a Suzuky Jimny costs 150.000 ISK? Although we don’t agree at all (we have also paid an assurance that it was supposed to cover grave damages), there was no other option if we want to take our flight. However, the only thing I could do after have been stolen is to advise the following travelers. I hope this opinion could help you to choose a car rental company better than me.

To sum it up, NO RESPONSE if you have a problem and 900 € extra for an awful service.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,371 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iceland car rentals

And you drove backwards the whole time, that´s why the BACK WINDOW broke :-))

Madrid, Spain
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Iceland car rentals

If you need more details, it was the rear left window. You can imagine it could happen very easily when the main road of the country has grave in several sections. The problem comes when you don't receive any assistance from the company where you rent the car and in addition, they asked you to pay an exorbitant amount of money (900 € is not the real cost of a rear window of a Suzuky Jimny). I am sorry for not going ahead with your joke but I think it is a serious issue.