We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etiquette in Bonus and Kronan supermarkets

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
111 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Etiquette in Bonus and Kronan supermarkets

We love to self-cater (it's the cheapest option and you always know what's going into your stomach) so we shopped for food at Bonus and Kronan. Bonus had great prices and we only bought at Kronan what we could not find at Bonus (a couple of vegetables were fresher in Kronan).

The weird thing about both stores is the following: the bags to place the grocery food in are kept near the cash register, not where the food is placed. They stuff as much as possible into each bag and we had a bag filled with really heavy stuff that was overflowing! My wife and I were debating about who would would request an extra bag from the young woman who took our payment. A local shopper who was behind us in line figured out our predicament and grabbed a bag from her vantage point and handed it to us with a smile. What's the story behind this? Is this because these stores are super-cheap and want to save on the cost of bags or is it because Iceland is very green (environmental-friendly) and is concerned about pollution caused by plastic bags? Or, is there some other reason?

Any ideas about this oddity would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited: 4:56 pm, May 10, 2012
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Etiquette in Bonus and Kronan supermarkets

You pay for those bags so it's not because they are trying to save money. They are supposed to ask you how many bags you want when they start scanning your products. If they don't ask you, or you realize you need more bags, then you simply ask them to hand you another bag(s). In many other stores you can just reach for them yourself.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Etiquette in Bonus and Kronan supermarkets

So, if you basically want bag for each of your item it is no problem.

There are different traditions by countries, and here in Iceland it has always been so, that the bags are by the register. There is little bit difference even between Bonus stores, if the bags are behind the register or if you ask for the bag.

If you are in Bonus you can also grap a carton box, if it is more convenient for your carrying, they are free. Basically they are saving them self money, so if they have carton boxes available from their own purchase they throw them out for the customers.

Finally you can purchase reusable bags, that are stronger. They cost about 1 Euro, each.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
111 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Etiquette in Bonus and Kronan supermarkets

I don't recall being asked how many bags I want but I don't speak Icelandic and the cashier at the Bonus store, strangely, did not appear to speak a word of English. (This was the Bonus in Mosfellsbaer.) Everyone else we encountered in Iceland spoke English.

My Kronan receipt (where we only bought a few things and got one bag total) does not appear to list anything that might be a bag. But my Bonus receipt, at the end, says: "Bonus Burdarpoki 2 20 40." Is that the word for bag and do the numbers mean that each bag costs 20 ISK, equaling 40ISK total for two bags? (Though the friendly shopper behind us just handed us a third bag! We saved all four bags as souvenirs from Iceland :). )

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Etiquette in Bonus and Kronan supermarkets

Yes, Burðdar - poki (Carry bag). And yes, each costs 20 ISK.

And strange, usually when I come to Bonus, they only speak English :) There are many foreigners working there.

I am sorry for this experience, it seems to be very odd. This is usually very automatic process and you just ask for the bags you need or grab them from the register (or the one behind you if it is behind the register).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
111 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Etiquette in Bonus and Kronan supermarkets

Bill E:

I appreciate your very kind words. We are not upset about the shopping experience. We were actually concerned that we might have offended someone by not understanding the store's etiquette regarding bags. No harm done.

I look forward to coming back to visit your beautiful country and to shopping again at Bonus and Kronan!

Herndon, VA
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Etiquette in Bonus and Kronan supermarkets

Does anybody know if i can buy a reuseable Bonus bag and have it shipped here to me in the USA? We lost the one we purchased in Iceland.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Etiquette in Bonus and Kronan supermarkets

Ok, I'll bite. Curious to know what's cool & special enough about a Bonus reusable bag that you'd want one shipped to you! We're leaving on Thursday for 10 days in Iceland & no doubt we will end up buying a few things at a ubiquitous Bonus market. If you clue me in, I might be able to help you out.

Edited: 5:42 pm, May 18, 2013
Herndon, VA
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Etiquette in Bonus and Kronan supermarkets

LOL...My husband thinks it is cool and was really sad when it was stolen out of his cart here. I guess he found the logo interesting. It is a big shopping bag and stands out. enjoy your visit, we really liked Iceland and plan to return in the next few years, becuase there is so much to see.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Etiquette in Bonus and Kronan supermarkets

Perhaps you take a couple of re-usable bags from home, if you are unsure. This process, I would have thought, is the same the world over 'want a bag, but a bag'

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
267 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Etiquette in Bonus and Kronan supermarkets

Even better, I am taking a couple of my Trader Joe's reusable bags for my groceries. I can buy one Bonus bag for you and ship it to you if you like...kaybeehern. I live in CA, you can pay me shipping, bag will be free. :)

Edited: 12:14 am, May 19, 2013