We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car in Iceland

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
90 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car in Iceland

My husband and I will be in Iceland at the end of March for 4 days. We'd like to rent a car for two days but have no idea what rental cars are best and whether to rent before we leave the US. We'd appreciate any tips from others who have rented cars in Iceland. Thank you very much!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
641 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car in Iceland

Really and truly i think no matter what company you rent from there's always a risk that something could go wrong. There are people like SAD cars whose cars are 10 years old so they might go wrong more often .

If you try http://iceland.rentalcargroup.com/ this searches through a few different rental companies there.

East Anglia
Level Contributor
51 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car in Iceland

I have just booked my hire car through auto-europe and the actual car hire company is Avis. Please make sure if you can to get a signed confirmation of no damage when you hand the car back! Sometimes this can be difficult if it is dark or you are just leaving the keys when the office is unattended and it can lead to disputes.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
139 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car in Iceland

Going in March and want to rent a car from airport and return at airport

Too many choices on the net and no one tells me the details of pick up and drop.

Also the cost is so variable that I am getting confused ( is the cheaper one not reliable or is the expensive one a rip off ??)

Also do I need a 4X4 to go to geysir and base of Sólheimajökull ?

Rentalcars , rhinocars etc are giving better deals than Avis, Budget, Europcar etc. Hertz is in between.

Any suggestions ?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
139 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car in Iceland

good site

but who takes the responsibility of the booking

this site or the final car rental company ?

5. Re: Renting a car in Iceland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:30 am, May 24, 2013