We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year to visit Iceland

Carshalton, United...
Level Contributor
260 posts
311 reviews
Save Topic
Best time of year to visit Iceland

There may not be a straightforward answer to this but I was wondering about the best time of year to visit Iceland. One website I read said June/July/August as the weather is better and you get more daylight, and "summer activities" (whatever they are) shut down in the winter. On the other hand I gather the best time to see the northern lights is in winter/the early months of the year.

I'd really like to see the northern lights but also do things like visit geysers and go dog sledding. Is there a good time of year when I could do all that, or do you have to basically choose going for the northern lights in winter or going in the summer for other activities? One other problem is that there are certain times of the year I can't take any time off work, which are January, April, July and October, so I couldn't go in those months.

Also it seems to me that most people (from the UK at least) go to Iceland for a long weekend, maybe 4 or 5 days. Is there enough to do if I wanted to go for, say, 10 days?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,757 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of year to visit Iceland

I think the ,,best" time is in late December !

The place is snowy, and ,,Christmassy". Everywhere you go, there are Christmas decorations which make the land beautiful. Snow all over, and dogsledding and snowmobiling at it´s best. Frozen waterfalls and northern lights, and what is better than sitting down in a cosy pub, after a day of shopping for Christmas gifts?.

Yepp, right now, is the best time !!

See this: www.facebook.com/media/set/…

B-))

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7,778 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of year to visit Iceland

Answering as a tourist it's a difficult question to answer. It's almost like 2 different countries in winter or summer.

As a 1st visit with 10 days I would go for summer. The days will be very long and you will be able to see the fantastic countryside. The driving is easy and hassel free, many of the sites are close to the ring road and you can drive the whole of the ring road in 10 days.

Go in the winter and it's a different country, magical if it is snow covered and the waterfalls are clothed in ice. Most people go for a shorter time in winter, as you say 3 - 5 days. The weather will be cold, possibly snow and ice and days are short. And you may or may not see the Northern Lights.

Whichever you choose I am sure you will want to return in the opposite season. I visited 1st in spring, then twice in summer, then twice in winter. And glad I did it that way as we were able to see so much of the country.

I don't know if this helps, Iceland is an awesome place to visit. Look out for the Icelandair deals, very good for a winter visit.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of year to visit Iceland

Late August. Fall colors have begun, crowds are gone, some prices may have started to fall if you go past September 1, days are still long with endless golden light at end of day, temps are from about 40's to low 60s. Great time of year. But in truth every time of year is a great time!

Carshalton, United...
Level Contributor
260 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of year to visit Iceland

That's helpful, thanks - I think I may have to look at it as two separate holidays!

5. Re: Best time of year to visit Iceland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 17, 2012