We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland in November - Things to Do?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Iceland in November - Things to Do?

Hello :) Myself and two friends are going to Iceland from 2nd to the 7th of November. We haven't made a definitive plan yet but we intend to spend the first and last day in Reykjavik and travel along the west coast for the majority of our trip. We're thinking of going to the Blue Lagoon on the first day and then travel up North West, perhaps to Olafsvik and maybe as far as Isafjorour. Could anyone recommend good places to see, and whether the roads in these areas will be accessible at that time? Or is it even recommended to rent a car at that time of year? Any info would be great! Thanks in advance!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Iceland in November - Things to Do?

IMHO Nowember is not the best time for the north/west fjords, but if you are willing to tackle remoteness, and stunning natural beauty, it´s perfect.

You could expect snowy roads (already are now), and slippery, as well as little ,,tourist service", so good planning is essential.

But, if you would plan your tour to the south coast and west coast, we´re talking about different things.

I would do a ,,four day tour" of the south and west, including The golden circle, south coast (end to end), glacier walking on Europe´s biggest glacier, The west coast and Snæfellsnes, including snowmobile riding on the glaciers, going underground in lava caves, and much more. This would include staying in countryside hotels (much cheaper than in town, but IMHO cheaper).

I would recommend the blue lagoon on the day of arrival, it´s important to get to know the pools in the beginning of our time, of course you should also go to the blue lagoon on the day of departure !

You could make a tour to the very volcanic Reykjanes peninsula, but for your maximum experience, do a guided tour !, since the ,,real jewels" of Reykjanes are not that obvious.

B-)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Iceland in November - Things to Do?

I just came back from Iceland and I completed it in 5 days... check out my blog for more info www.quicktripsforeveryone.blogspot.com/

Cantley, Qc
Level Contributor
8 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Iceland in November - Things to Do?

Hi Catriona H,

We were in the Westfjords in may during a small snowstorm and would probably recommend keeping a very close eye on conditions:

vegagerdin.is/english/…island1e.html

You and your friends might be excellent drivers, even so, roads up there are narrow, go up and down, are winding and sometimes even a bit scary.

A good 4x4 would be the best choice if you choose to go up there.

Things to do:

Golden Circle

Snaelfesnes hike and glacier

Budir black church

Hraunfossar

Hvalfjörður

Glymur

Djyandi waterfall

Latrabjarg cliffs

It was an extremely beautiful spot to visit, but if this is your first trip to Iceland (and with the time you have), I would suggest going to visit the south instead, were there are more diverse options to see imo, especially in that time of year with having to plan around road conditions.

Good luck with your planning!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,284 posts
2,074 reviews
4. Re: Iceland in November - Things to Do?

Hi,

Thingvellir National Park

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g315853-d…

Golden Circle

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g189970-d…

Blue Lagoon,

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g608874-d…

5. Re: Iceland in November - Things to Do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, October 27, 2012