We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reykjavik Rent a Car

Vernon, BC
1 post
Save Topic
Reykjavik Rent a Car

We, a group of 18, rented two Hyundai Starex H1 vans from Reykjavik Rent a Car for the Golden Circle Tour and a trip around Iceland. When we had a flat in Reykjavik late on our first day, Reykjavik Rent a Car provided excellent service to enable us to continue our trip without delay. Pickup and drop off at our hostels was very convenient. We later rented a vehicle for one day and again, the service was excellent. We recommend Reykjavik Rent a Car to fellow travelers. Edie Leier, Vernon, BC, Canada

68 replies to this topic
Hannover, Germany
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
31. Re: Reykjavik Rent a Car

I was in Icaland in June this year and I have been perfectly satiesfied with Reykjavik Rent a Car. These guys have a really good service from the first contact. I got everytime fast answers on my emails. In Iceland the Pick-Up at my first-night-hostel was in time and like we arranged it. The personal in the office was really nice!!!

I rented a Hyundai ix35 and the car was in a really good condition. No blemish and only 20.000 km when I got the car.

Sorry for my bad english :-)

Everbody who chooses this company makes a good choice!!!

Christoph

FL, USA
Level Contributor
5 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Reykjavik Rent a Car

We agree, this is an outstanding company. We rented a Hyundai i30; it was clean, operated fine and got great mileage. Their service was flawless. The car was delivered to our guest house right on time, and we dropped off at the guest house as well [in fact, they made a special trip to come get it as there was no parking when we returned due to an event in Reykjavik].

As a note; we found driving in Iceland to be easy and unstressful [unlike Italy, Greece or Turkey]. Highways and roads are well marked. People generally drive courteously and obey the speed limits, the ring road is in very good shape and while we didnt have any contact with the police they likely are very good english speakers [almost all Icelanders are]. Any time you get off the ring road [to go to an attraction or accomodation for example] expect a 1 lane gravel surface. There is the ocassional wash boarding and pot holes to be avoided, but otherwise, as long as you go slowly they are fine, albeit quite dusty [if you are lucky to have dry sunny weather]. We drove from Reykjavik to Hofn and gas was easy to get with a credit card, although we didnt figure out how to get a receipt. The gas stations also had free water [with a brush] for washing off the dust.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Reykjavik Rent a Car

My girlfriend and I drove around the ring road over our New Year's holiday in a car rented from Reykjavik rent-a-car. I had selected them in part because of the positive review here, and I want to confirm that they were simply excellent. They did everything right and went a little beyond. We had ordered winter tires without studs, and after a couple days driving around the city, we thought maybe we should have studs for our ring road trip. The staff agreed to take the car to a mechanic to switch them free of charge. In the end, we changed our mind and kept the original tires, but the fact that they were willing to accommodate us was really outstanding. We also got a parking ticket in Akureyri that we forgot about until we had left the country, and they paid it for us after we returned the car. I highly recommend these guys.

Hayward, California
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Reykjavik Rent a Car

After doing loads of research on various Iceland car rental agencies (and there are A LOT!), I settled with Reykjavik Rent A Car because of their excellent communication, responding to my email inquiries quickly and helping with my rental modifications after we realized we needed a larger vehicle, and importantly because their prices are incredibly competitive. They offer some of the lowest rates, but have newer, higher quality vehicles. I was not about to rent an old car for driving the Ring Road in Winter!

When we first arrived at the airport, there was a crowd of agency reps holding signs of people they're there to pick up, and we panicked a little bit when we didn't see my name. I guess our guy either walked away for a minute or had just arrived, but the panic only lasted 5 minutes. From that point on, everything went extremely smoothly.

Our rental was a Toyota Land Cruiser with studded winter tires with about 20,000 km. We were given an N1 gas discount card and we went on our way. Thankfully we did not encounter any issues with the vehicle and made it all the way around the Ring Road in quite treacherous conditions particularly in the northeast. We are already planning to return and will definitely rent with Reykjavik Rent A Car again.

Stavanger, Norway
1 post
Save Reply
35. Re: Reykjavik Rent a Car

I choosed Reykjavik Rent a Car because of the good roomers and reviews about the company. In the prosess of choosing a rental company they answered my emails ialmost nstantly, even in late evenings, giving me good answers to my questions. I rented a Jeep Wrangler from them, driving nearly 2000 km between Jokulsharlon and the Westfjords including Djupavik and Latrabjarg. Some of these roads were really rocky, so I was happy with the choice of car.

However, the doorstraps on a Jeep Wrangler is in my opinion a design weakness. On my last evening the doorstrap snapped, the door went forward and made a bump damage in front of the window. I informed the employees about this when I returned the car. I was informed that the owner would inform me by email about the cost of the damage, expecting the worst. The day after I recieved an email where they said that they wouldn't find it fair to charge me for the damage, as the doorstrap most likely had been worn out over time, and that I was just driving the car when the strap snapped.

To me this story is about wether you can trust a company or not. Reykjavik Rent a Car is definitively a trustable serious company with an outstanding customer service. I will use them again. Highly recommendable.

Edited: 11:49 am, July 01, 2015
USA
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Reykjavik Rent a Car

These guys were great. Very good communication, seamless drop-off (of car) at our hotel, friendly. Our Dacia Duster was literally brand-new- something like 30KM on it- and it was great. I was a little sad to some home and have to drive my car.

Chalais, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Reykjavik Rent a Car

Nous revenons d'Islande et avons loué un gros 4x4 avec roofbox pour 19 jours. Nous étions 5 adultes avec autant de bagages. Le service de Reykjavik Rent a Car a été PERFECT et très agréable du début à la fin. Franchement, pour moi c'est la meilleure agence de location là-bas. Le personnel est sympathique et se plie en 4 pour vous satisfaire. Aucun problème avec le véhicule. Bref, nous avons trouvé notre agence et on ne change pas une équipe qui gagne !! Thanks Kristjan and all the people of Reykjavik Rent a Car !! See you next time ! Caroline

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
38. Re: Reykjavik Rent a Car

I rented a car with Reykjavík Rent A Car and ended up having to cancel my reservation due to unforeseen circumstances. The friendly and helpful staff member that I spoke to on the phone gave me a full refund without an additional charge. When I first booked, there was an issue with AmEx and Reykjavík Rent A Car emailed me right away and were very communicative. Though I'm disappointed that I won't be able to follow through with my rental on this trip, I am very impressed with Reykjavík Rent A Car's selection, prices, and customer services and will definitely book a car with them on my next trip to Iceland.

39. Re: Reykjavik Rent a Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, August 28, 2015

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Reykjavik Rent a Car

I would like to ask the person who posted the last comment to find the correct forum for it and delete it.. The post is regarding Reykjavík Cars who have no relation to Reykjavík Rent a Car.

Reply to: Reykjavik Rent a Car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted