We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route 1 Car Rental

Chicago IL
Level Contributor
281 posts
13 reviews
Route 1 Car Rental

Has anyone rented from Route 1 Car Rental? Just want to know if there were any problems and if they were reliable.

Thanks.

111 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
99 reviews
1. Re: Route 1 Car Rental

just wondering if you did rent with route1.is? how was it?

Chicago IL
Level Contributor
281 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Route 1 Car Rental

Yes, we did rent with Route 1 car rental. It went VERY well. They were at the dock when we got off of the cruise ship. There was a slight mix-up as they tried to give us a manual, but they quickly changed it to an automatic and we were on our way quickly. We had a GPS and they programmed the sights we wanted to see in it and gave us a map also. We had a wonderful day and found that driving around was very easy. When we got back to the dock, we simply left the car and were on our way.

Ann Arbor, MI
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Route 1 Car Rental

I used them. They brought the car to my hotel. And when I had a small crisis upon the return --- entirely my fault --- they were courteous and went out of their way to help me. They were great. No worries.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Route 1 Car Rental

I also had a positive experience with Route 1 when I visited Iceland May this year. They dropped the car to where I was staying which was brilliant. The sign over of documents was very easy and quick and they provided very useful information on how to drive on Iceland roads, as well as maps etc. Communication with Route 1 was excellent from booking till drop off and return of the car (they came to collect) was also hassle free. Friendly, family-run company, with cars that are in excellent nick and very reasonable rates (I thought). Next I'm back in iceland I will use them again. Highly recommend.

los angeles
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
5. Re: Route 1 Car Rental

After exhaustive internet research, we found Route 1 to offer the best price. We rented a Suzuki Swift Automatic for 3 days. The car was spotless and new. A very nice lady dropped of the car at noon in front of our guesthouse, instructed on the technicalities of driving in Iceland, and wished us a nice trip. She must have taken the bus back to her office because she simply walked away. On the day of our return, we arrived back at our hotel at noon, parked on the street, and amazingly a few minutes later two men arrived in a car to take the rental car away. I have never had such a pleasurable, hassle free experience in renting a car such as this. I waived the extra insurance option when booking online, and the lady who brought the car didn't even pressure me to buy the insurance (as would happen in the US). I didn't rent the GPS, though there was one already in the car, and never had the need to use one. The free map was all we need to drive up and down the south coast all the way to Hofn. There was even time to go to the Blue Lagoon before returning our car. Highly recommend this company. One last note: a credit card PIN number is need to pay at the pump of gas stations. Otherwise, you need to pay with your credit card inside the stations, which don't open very early or close late.

Edited: 4:30 pm, August 30, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
6. Re: Route 1 Car Rental

I recently had a negative experience with Route1. Whilst the car (Toyota Yaris) was fine and served me well, the conduct of the company was quite appalling.

What happened: their minimum age for rental is 23, but I'm 21, so I emailed them asking if I could rent a car, and whether there was a young driver charge. They replied saying I could rent the car and no further charges were involved.

They delivered the car, and I sat down with a young female employee and went over the contract. I chose not to take out extra insurance to lower my excess, which she was fine with. I signed the contract and she left. 5 minutes later the young woman was back accompanied by another employee, an old man, who started being very angry and irate. He said that I wasn't allowed to take the car if I didn't buy the extra insurance. He claimed I was young and poor and thus would not be able to afford the higher excess (complete speculation, as I could in fact afford it). I ended up paying for the insurance because I needed the car for a long journey that day, and it would have been more expensive to go to another company and pay a high rate for an on-the-day booking.

I find it completely unacceptable that they broke a contractual agreement, and essentially held me to ransom. Had they told me before signing that I had to buy the extra insurance I would have happily paid for it. I just find their dishonest attitude and the exceptionally rude way in which I was treated appalling. A very unprofessional and untrustworthy company.

ESSEX
Level Contributor
19 posts
44 reviews
7. Re: Route 1 Car Rental

Hi, I'm just back from circumnavigation of Iceland on Highway 1 using 4x4 from Route1. Very good rate compared to other rental companies and no fuss about shredding one of the tyres! I would go for extra insurance options though cos even main highway can get rough up north where parts are being repaired and also when you drive to sightseeing spots. My car was new with 400 km on the clock and handed back with 2400 km! Guy who dropped the car off was very good and told me everything I needed to know about the car and driving in Iceland, as well as a few things I hadn't even thought of.

Have also heard SAD cars were good but older cars so guess you take a chance for paying less money. Would aslo say that I probably didn't need a 4x4 as Highway 1 is 95% tarmac and in good condition... just slow down on gravel roads.

Budapest
Level Contributor
1 post
95 reviews
8. Re: Route 1 Car Rental

We used them in August. In Iceland everything goes smooth, but they were the most flexible and helpful company I've ever dealt with. They delivered the car to Keflavík airport and picked it up at our place in suburban Reykjavík for no extra charge.

Manchester, United...
1 post
1 review
9. Re: Route 1 Car Rental

I can only add to the praise for Route 1 car rentals. I have just got back from Iceland and rented a small car with them for one day. They delivered and picked up the vehicle from my hotel and a member of staff went through everything I needed to know. I found other companies in the area wanted a minimum rental of two days where as Route 1 allowed me to rent for one day. Other companies had less flexible opening hours and were more expensive.

Highly recommend this company!

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
10. Re: Route 1 Car Rental

I visited Reykjavik in late June 2013 and hired a Toyota Yaris for a 4-day period from Route 1. They delivered the car to my hotel in the centre of Reykjavik at the time I had arranged and provided me with information about the car, driving in Iceland and which roads were OK to drive on. In summer months the roads are good, even the dirt roads, and driving is very easy as there is not much traffic on them. I would recommend taking a Sat Nav as this means you don’t have to read the long, unpronounceable name on road signs and you can concentrate on the road ahead.

The car was clean and obviously well service when it was delivered and I had no problems with the car during the 1,400 km I drove it. All the tyres had lots of tread and were properly inflated which is always a sign that the vehicle is in good condition.

My return flight from Keflavik was early on a Sunday morning and Route 1 asked me to leave the car parked near the hotel and to leave the keys and details of where the car was parked at the hotel reception. Although I had not damaged the car I was a bit apprehensive about possible ‘extra charges’ appearing on my credit card bill. I have heard that this can occur with some rental companies when a car is left without the hire company inspecting the car with the hirer present. Route 1 did not charge any extras over and above the agreed hire rate. They also sent an email to let me know that they had collected the car and that it was in good condition.

My experience with Route 1 and the car I hired was very good. Their hire rates are also very competitive so I would recommend them to anyone visiting Iceland.

Reply to: Route 1 Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted