We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sólheimasandur plane wreck

Little Falls, New...
2 posts
Sólheimasandur plane wreck

I'm travelling to Iceland for a 2nd time at the end of June. We're renting a 4x4 vehicle for two days from Reykjavik to travel out to the glacier lagoon and back. Possibly going to do it in two days however finding accomodation near skaftafell has been difficult. worse case with the extended daylight hours, split the driving and return at the end of the day. I've already seen the waterfalls, dryholey, vik beaches, etc, but we'll be showing them the sights as well. two places that i didn't get to see last year was the glacier tongue of solheimjokull, the road was shut down that day due to the volcanic eruption ash cloud, and the plane wreckage at Sólheimasandur. just wondering how difficult road 221 is to drive, and how the heck to figure out where to turn off route 1 or what path leads to the plane wreckage. I'd appreciate any info you can give me. thanks

Brent

Delft, The...
Level Contributor
726 posts
1. Re: Sólheimasandur plane wreck

Last year I saw them both. The track to Sólheimarjökull shouldn't be a problem. I did it on my bicycle, but don't remember any obstacles or difficulties. I don't even think that it is a F-road, because there were several small cars on the parking area at the glacier.

Directions to the plainwreck starting at the crossing to Sólheimarjökull:

Go east on road nr 1. The road goes slightly uphill and after a few hundred meters you'll have a fenced field on your right. When the road goes downhill again the field ends, but the fence continues. A few hundred meters after this point there is an opening in the fence, with a track going back to the field. This is the track to the plane wreck. I think it's about 2km after the crossing to Sólheimarjökull.

The track first goes south along the potatofield, then goes south-east (marked by wooden sticks), and then goes south again to the plane.

Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
6 posts
49 reviews
79 helpful votes
2. Re: Sólheimasandur plane wreck

Just wanted to say that these directions were very good and got me to the plane. I would add a couple thoughts though for future travelers. The gate that is mentioned in the directions above is not like a gate you would see here in the US commonly. The gate is basically vertical wooden poles attached to the fencing and then pulled tight and held in place with some small ropes to the main fence. I had to look a couple times to find it. Additionally, the hills he mentions are very gradual, not dramatic hills at all. Also, there is a drop off from the road to the fields mentioned that is very steep. At the point where the gate is, there is a sort of gravel ramp built up to the road. Once you see that, it is obvious you're in the right place. I have seen videos of people driving to the plane before online and towards the end of the drive they have to cross a river. Using these directions you don't have to cross any water. We actually drove out there instead of walking. I had two locals (one a farmer and the other a hotel owner) tell me that it was fine to drive, so we did... the weather was not looking very friendly that day, and it is about 2 miles out off the main road. I had an AWD Subaru, but I'm pretty comfortable saying that any rental car would have been fine assuming it was a relatively dry day. It wasn't sketchy at all (not NEARLY as bad as the road to Sólheimarjökul which was extremely iffy when we were there). When we were there last week, there were sheep grazing in the field instead of potatoes, but you'll know the field when you see it... it is pretty much the only solid green field out there in the midst of a bunch of black sand.

Happy hunting to anyone else who goes looking for it!

Dan

Bootle, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: Sólheimasandur plane wreck

Is it possible to visit the plane wreck with a standard 2WD in early January?

Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
6 posts
49 reviews
79 helpful votes
4. Re: Sólheimasandur plane wreck

I would just use common sense about it when you get there. The sand isn't terribly deep on the way out there, but if it was wet at all I'd be a little concerned. You can always just park near that gate though and walk it. Once you find the spot, it is really easy to navigate. Just keep in mind that you won't see the plane until you're a couple hundred yards away from it because of where it sits.

Icelander in...
Level Contributor
12,022 posts
26 reviews
22 helpful votes
5. Re: Sólheimasandur plane wreck

Or have a private guide take you there: www.facebook.com/media/set/…

B-)

Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
6 posts
49 reviews
79 helpful votes
6. Re: Sólheimasandur plane wreck

...Or that. LOL When I go back to Iceland, I'm going to take one of those 4X4 trips. They looked like a TON of fun!

7. Re: Sólheimasandur plane wreck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 12, 2012