We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is Iceland in July?

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How is Iceland in July?

I'm certain the country is beautiful year round...

I'm sure a post like this is posted here at least once a day. My wife and I are playing with the idea of going to Iceland in July for our first anniversary. We are limited to what times of year we can travel because she is a school teacher, so the end of june through august is our only travel window that allows us to get away for two weeks at a time, not to mention our anniversary is July 10th...

How is Iceland that time of year? If I'm correct, it's nearly light all the time, so no chance of northern lights viewing, right? My wife teaches science, so she'd like to see things along the lines of volcanos, glaciers, geysers, thermal springs, other geographical anomalies, and especially a geothermal plant tour, if that's possible. I do not mind driving, so I'd really like to see if we could do a nice leisurely ring road tour. I don't mind choosing and booking my own hotels, so I don't really need a packaged tour, but I would like to know where the best areas on the ring road are. What is a good amount of time for doing the road and also a few days in Reykjavik/area? I'm a budget-minded traveler. I don't require much luxury and don't want to spend a lot.

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How is Iceland in July?

Hi there,

June/July will be almost 24 hours daylight, so unfortunately no chance of seeing the northern lights. The weather is very variable, but expect anything between 10 and 20 degrees, rain, sunshine, wind.

There are plenty of geothermal areas throughout the country. I have visited 4 times, and would suggest that to drive around the whole ring road, 10 days would be a good amount of time to give yourself ample time to explore the many wonderful places.

My personal favourite parts of Iceland are the east fjords, a less visited area of the country. But for your first trip you can't go wrong with a tour along the south coast.

To save on money I always use www.hostel.is. The hostels are all very well kept, good locations and affordable.

Gareth

www.garethcoddphotography.com

Edited: 2:49 pm, September 14, 2010
Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How is Iceland in July?

Hi there,

June/July will be almost 24 hours daylight, so unfortunately no chance of seeing the northern lights. The weather is very variable, but expect anything between 10 and 20 degrees, rain, sunshine, wind.

There are plenty of geothermal areas throughout the country. I have visited 4 times, and would suggest that to drive around the whole ring road, 10 days would be a good amount of time to give yourself ample time to explore the many wonderful places.

My personal favourite parts of Iceland are the east fjords, a less visited area of the country. But for your first trip you can't go wrong with a tour along the south coast.

To save on money I always use www.hostel.is. The hostels are all very well kept, good locations and affordable.

Gareth

<a href="http://garethcoddphotography.com">

Mercer Island, WA
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: How is Iceland in July?

My husband and I had a WONDERFUL trip to Iceland this last July (7/22-7/30). We drove the Ring Road for most of that time, taking many detours and making many stops,plus a final day roaming around Reykavik. We used the Icelandic Farm Stays organization to arrange the rental car and rooms at country guesthouses along the way, which was a great way to travel. The guesthouse rooms are small, but extremely clean -- an economical choice and one we found very satisfactory. While the near 24-hours of daylight will keep you from seeing the Northern Lights, it allowed us to get in a lot more sightseeing. Many evenings we would head out for an additional couple hours of sightseeing, hiking, etc., after dinner, often roaming around until 10 or 11 at night. July is a great time to travel in Iceland.

Delmar, NY
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
208 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is Iceland in July?

My wife and I spent 12 days in Iceland this past July, and we'd go back in a heartbeat. We literally have not stopped talking about our trip. We spent a couple of days in Reykjavik, then rented a car and drove the Ring Road to the west and the north. What a spectacular landscape! You really get a sense of just how dynamic Earth is. We had all sorts of weather during our 12 days: heavy clouds, high winds, rain showers and bright sunshine. Temperatures were generally in the mid 50s F and low 60s F in South Iceland and low 40s F to low 50s F in the north. We experienced some of the sunniest weather on our day trip to Grimsey; we had dressed for cold and found that we had overdressed. Our last days in Reykjavik were unusually warm - a veritable heat wave. While the 24-hour daylight never affected our sleep, we always lost track of the time and how late it was, since there is no darkness to provide visual cues.

Iceland isn't cheap, but it's certainly less expensive than it once was. We stayed in tourist hotels and one guesthouse in Reykjavik. The guesthouse was adequate but not the best introduction to a foreign country. The hotels ranged from just OK to quite comfortable (I hope to get around to posting my reviews soon).

You mention that you would like to see a geothermal plant. Our Golden Circle Tour from Reykjavik, which we booked with Go Travel Iceland (http://www.gotraveliceland.com/ and see TA reviews), included a stop at a geothermal power plant. While it was interesting, it couldn't compare with Geysir, Gullfoss and Thingvellir.

We are already talking about going back to see the Northern Lights. You'll have a great time in July.

5. Re: How is Iceland in July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 22, 2011