We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

northern lights: best place and time.

N. Ireland
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
northern lights: best place and time.

Hi,

Can anyone advise on the best month of year (obviously during the winter season) and place to see the Northern Lights? I have read some claims that they can be seen from Reykjavik and others saying that you must fly to Akureyri. Also - if I have to take this internal flight - are there any cheap domestic flights/deals? Has anyone been on a Northern Lights tour that they would recommend? All help appreciated. Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,947 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: northern lights: best place and time.

The centre of RKV is too light to see anything except more of RKV, and I suspect even the suburbs are too bright. The tours usually run from October until April.

I think the tours head either north or east - anywhere where some dark will be available. You probably don't need to go as far as Akureyri, unless you fancy seeing the city and/or Lake Myvatn or a trip to Grimsey. If you do want to head there, book at www.airiceland.is and book as soon as you can, as the cheap fares go fast. There are several flights each day, and the cheapest fare is just under 6500 ISK each way.

Haven't done a Northern Lights tour, so can't advise you there - sorry.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
149 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: northern lights: best place and time.

Hi C&B: I'm going to Iceland on Thursday (10/20) for the primary purpose of seeing Northern LIghts. I'll let you know when I get back or will I see you there? I'm signing on for a Northern LIghts tour with Rekjavik Excursions. They have a wonderful web site: www.re.is/trips. It doesn't say where we go, only that we leave at 8:30 p.m. and the trip last 2.5 to 3 hours. Wouldn't it be something if we were on the same tour?

Hydrokitty (USA)

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: northern lights: best place and time.

I went on a Northern Lights trip with Reykjavik Excursions. I thought it was fantastic. I have never seen anything so wild and unreal.

We left Reykjavik and travelled outside the city. I am not sure where but it was VERY dark. No artifical light at all anywhere to be seen. We did not travel too long either, maybe 30-40 minutes???

Good luck on seeing them. I saw them in November but I went back the following Feb and saw not a thing because it was too foggy. They cancelled the trip because there was not a good chance of seeing them.

You will love Iceland!