We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposed ring road tour: your views please.

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Proposed ring road tour: your views please.

Hi,

We are planning the following drive around Route 1, in a hire car. We have been to Reykjavik plenty of times, so we really just wanted to see the rest of the country.

Day 1.

Keflavik - Hofn

(stopping at Vik)

Day 2.

Hofn area (activities: Glacial Lagoon and Snowmobiling)

Drive to Berunes

Day 3.

Berunes - Akureyri

(including: Dettifoss and Myvatn)

Day 4.

Akureyri - Borgarnes

Day 5.

Borgarnes - Reykjavik

I'm still working on other stops on each leg, but does this sound about right?

I'd appreciate your advice/comments.

GeoIceland Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Iceland Horizon
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Discover Iceland
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Saga Travel
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours, Day Trips
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,859 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposed ring road tour: your views please.

It´s Ok., not great, but Ok.

B-)

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposed ring road tour: your views please.

What would you do to make it great?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,859 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposed ring road tour: your views please.

First, your tour will not be about where to stop, but places where NOT to stop.

Day 1 is very long, more than 500 Km.!!. Through the most scenic area in Iceland !!

And the next, you have to backtrack 150 Km. and the drive 150 Km. more to your next stay. Again 500+ Km.

The third day, you are going to drive almost 600 Km.!, some of these on the worst, slowest and most dangerous gravel roads in Iceland!. And still have time for Dettifoss and Myvatn area !!.

The fourth day is a slow day, only four hours of driving, on Hgw.1. Why not go all the way to R.vik. ?

Fifth day, I assume you are going to do the Golden circle on this day, I did not calculate that in the first days activity. Or maybe Borgarfjörður area, (you have probably done the Golden circle before)

This is doable, maybe even Ok. but far from great !

This will be a fast ,,road trip".

B-)

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposed ring road tour: your views please.

Thanks for your advice - much appreciated.

Quick query - I thought that Route 1 was tarmac surface through out now?

Thanks again.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,859 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposed ring road tour: your views please.

The road to Dettifoss (864) is THE WORST, the most dangerous tourist road in Iceland ! You will be roaming off the ,,ring road" many times on your tour.

B-)

NDG
Level Contributor
313 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposed ring road tour: your views please.

Unless it has changed since 2006 (sorry, but despite my wishes, I haven't been more recently), about 50 km of route 1 in the eastern part of the country (south of Egilstadir) is still dirt road, part of which is a mountain pass full of switch-backs. Beautiful drive, but slow-going.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,859 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proposed ring road tour: your views please.

You´re absolutely right, about one hour drive. But most travelers do the ,,fjord route" now days, it´s more scenic, and not really longer.

B-)

8. Re: Proposed ring road tour: your views please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, November 01, 2009