We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Harrisburg PA
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car Rental

Can anyone recommend a car rental company that would be reasonable and reliable? I am looking for the second half of May for 14 days, preferably a compact automatic, and I can't believe how expensive they all are. I rented a car last year in Iceland and it was much less per diem.

I have already contacted Reykjavik Rent a Car because they seemed reasonable, but they only have 4wds and they are sold out for the second half of May anyway. All the chains seem expensive and Icelandic Farm Holidays which I thought would be reasonable is more expensive than the chains because they offer no discounts. Any other ideas of where I can look?

I am tempted to try driving a manual but not sure if this is a good idea.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

http://www.holdur.is/en/ are very good, and have a good network of service.

B-)

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

www.geysir.is have usually good prices

Harrisburg PA
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

Thank you both for the recommendations. I am going to look into these.

Do you think a Toyota Yaris or something of that type would be okay on the roads in Westfjords in the second half of May? Do those roads get icy at that time of year, or is the gravel a problem for small tires?

4. Re: Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:35 am, October 31, 2009