We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental and car type help!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
19 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental and car type help!

We are a family of six adults and two kids (age 1 and 5) who will be visiting Iceland for a holiday in May. We plan to drive around to see the countryside.

Our itinerary will include:

- Selfoss, the Golden Circle, Gulfoss

- Skaftafell and then onwards to see the glacial lake at Jökulsárlón

- back to Reykjavik with an overnight stop at Skogarfoss

My question is: do we need to hire 4x4 SUVs or will a station wagon do fine for this terrain?

Also, if you have any tips on where to rent a car from in Reykjavik downtown, that would be a great help! I would prefer to rent with an agency that will pickup/drop off the car at the hotel (Centerhotel). I looked up some of the local rental companies, but can't figure out which to trust. What about holidayautos.co.uk. Does any one know who their partner car company is in Iceland?

Thanks,

Meath
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental and car type help!

Just back from our 5 day trip - 7 seater delivered and collected free from guesthouse - found Reykjavik Rent a Car the cheapest and the sat nav was super

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
19 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental and car type help!

DO we need to rent a 4x4 or will a regular car/station wagon do just fine? Thanks

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,046 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental and car type help!

You do NOT need a 4X4, regular car is alright.

B-)

Switzerland
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental and car type help!

I recomend you www.travelcarsiceland.com , it´s really cheap and great service! I rented a car from them and I loved how helpful they were and ofcourse most important, how cheap the prices were!

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental and car type help!

I agree with uberbumb. We also rented a car from travelcarsiceland late last year, and found them an agreeable company to deal with, and they had very good prices. See my earlier posts for more details.

6. Re: Car rental and car type help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, October 29, 2009