We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Iceland

vaca2121
4 posts
Save Topic
Weather in Iceland

I heading to Iceland on Friday and will be there for a week. The 10 day forecast has rain almost everyday. Is the weather pattern always like this, good chance of rain each day, but you hope for the best with sun, or does it really rain everyday in Sept!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Iceland

I don't know which weather forecast site you have used, but I wouldn't place much faith in a forecast longer than 3 days, and even that can be a bit optimistic here!

The Iceland Meteorological Office shows a mix of rain, sunshine and showers for their five-day forecast. We have a subpolar oceanic (maritime) climate here, so anything goes!

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Iceland

Hi there !

I'm an Icelander living in Iceland so I could help. This September has been quite unusual. Almost everyday in Reykjavik (except the first week which was awesome 15-17 C° and sunny) has been rainy, in the SOUTHERN part of the country, we think it is punishment for absolutely gorgeus summer. This rainy weather is due to hot humid air mass Americans are sending us :). This air mass brings rain and clouds to the southern and western part of the country (where Reykjavík is) and dries up there and when the air mass continues to go over the higlands it leaves the cloud behind and bring beautiful weather to the North and East part of Iceland, where Akureyri, the capital of the North is situated. There has been now temp. around 15-19 C° (59-66 F°) and sunny or partly-cloudy.

If I where you I would visit the North if you are thinking about the weather, also because is the most exciting part of Iceland in my opinon.

Feel very welcome in my country and I hope have an explendid time! :D

vaca2121
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Iceland

Thanks for the info. We'll be in Reykjavik for the week and pretty much expect clouds and light rain. Nice to get the opinion of some Icelanders, if it's any help the weather in the Northeast of the US has been rather cool with little humidity.

4. Re: Weather in Iceland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, October 07, 2009