We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visit to Iceland

Liverpool
Level Contributor
21 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
visit to Iceland

I am going on a cruise next week to Iceland and stopping at Akureyi and want to see the Godafoss waterfall. Can I get to it by bus and how much will it cost? Where do I get the bus from? How long will it take me to get there and back?

Also I will be stopping at Reykjavic and want to do the Blue Lagoon in the morning and the Golden Circle in the afternoon. Can I get a public bus from the city centre and how much will it cost? Also will I be able to do the Golden Circle by bus? Can I get a bus ticket for unlimited travel for the day which will cover the two trips?

If I went on a trip of the Golden Circle with a tour company which would be the cheapest and also the best company to go with?

I would appreciate anyone's help with this as I want to make the most of my time in Iceland. Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,218 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visit to Iceland

Hi there,

Can only advise on Reykjavik. The two main tour companies there are www.re.is and www.grayline.is . Public buses run between main cities, hardly or not to 'village' attractions like golden circle.

You can make some kind of combination. Blue Lagoon has half-day trips with both, and you could take a morning one. And Geysir/Gulfoss (2 out of 3 parts of the golden circle) are also done in afternoon trips from town, by both; you miss out the old parliament site then, that's only in their full-day trips.

Grayline is generally cheaper and offers more combinations of tours (though not certain whether they also have exactly this combi, check their site). Haven't heard of quality differences between them, we only used RE which was good.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visit to Iceland

So far as I am aware there is only one scheduled bus to/from Goðafoss each day - see nat.is/travelguideeng/bus_stop_akureyri_egil…

It would be better to rent a self-drive car or a taxi.

Public bus to Blue Lagoon and Golden Circle - no, tour buses only. Golden Circle by bus - tour buses only, links as previous post. Unlimited travel ticket, yes, but does not include Blue Lagoon - see http://www.re.is/home/iceland_on_your_own/

What are the timings for your cruise ship in Reykjavík? Many cruises do offer organised tours, and if yours does then I would think that Blue Lagoon and the Golden circle would be included.

If not, then perhaps this tour would suit:

grayline.is/day_tours_and_sightseeing_in_ice…

It's also worth searching this site in the "Iceland forums" - using the keyword "cruise" returns five pages of threads including these tripadvisor.com/…12061726

tripadvisor.com/…4355193

3. Re: visit to Iceland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, October 02, 2009