We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost to do it your own and tours around iceland

makati
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
Save Topic
cost to do it your own and tours around iceland

hello,

my 5 days in iceland

Golden Circle - Reykjavik to Geysers, Icelandic Ponies, Thingvellir National Park, Geysir Hot Spring Area, Gullfoss Waterfall.

Reykjavik To Vik - Sólheimasandur Airplane Wreck, Seljalandsfoss Waterfall [and the hidden Gljúfrabúi Waterfall], Skogafoss Waterfall, Sólheimasandur Airplane Wreck

Vik To Hofn - basalt columns, glaciers, Skaftafell National Park, Reynishverfi Basalt Column Beach, Vik’s Black Sand Beach.

Stokksnes, Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon.

Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon and Dryholaey, Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon, Dyrhólaey.

i want to try the Snorkeling Silfra but its on th upper part. i might strech my trip to 7 days if ill visit silfra for snorkeling.

for this kind of itinerary would it cost more doing tours or it will cost less if i rent a car and do it by myself? im just thingking will the places ill visit has entrance fee, pay parking lots, just wondering were should i make my base hotel to sleep for my itenirary. thanks

im travelling alone. my trip is on sept 27 to oct 1 and maybe add 2 days more if needed. thanks

Mentioned in this post
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
549 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Icelandic Street Food
Icelandic Street Food
1,255 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Thingvellir National Park
Thingvellir National Park
3,029 Reviews
Thingvellir, Iceland
Geysir
Geysir
South Region, Iceland
Gullfoss
Gullfoss
10,591 Reviews
Blaskogabyggd, Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Vik
Vik
South Region, Iceland
Seljalandsfoss
Seljalandsfoss
2,020 Reviews
South Region, Iceland
Skogafoss
Skogafoss
2,901 Reviews
Skogar, Iceland
Hofn
Hofn
East Region, Iceland
Skaftafell National Park
Skaftafell National Park
966 Reviews
Vatnajokull National Park, Iceland
Black Sand Beach
Black Sand Beach
3,138 Reviews
Vik, Iceland
7 replies to this topic
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost to do it your own and tours around iceland

You are visiting on the edge of winter. Do you know how to safely drive on potentially icy roads in strong winds from long experience? If no, tours are your safest option.

Edited: 2:07 pm, June 07, 2018
Canada
Level Contributor
8,390 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cost to do it your own and tours around iceland

Generally tours are more expensive than a DYI. Costs can easily be researched, Your present itinerary will need at least 2 or 3 base hotels.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cost to do it your own and tours around iceland

Most natural sites like waterfalls, geysir, and so on have no admission fees or parking fees. If you want to keep costs down, there are hostels and accommodations where you share a bathroom and/or a kitchen. Still, car rental is expensive in Iceland,especially if the cost is not shared over two or more people. If you can afford it, rent a car. It allows you much more flexibility about where to visit and how long to stay in each place. You can cut down on costs by buying some groceries and making your own lunches and snacks for your daytime and outings.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,546 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cost to do it your own and tours around iceland

Since you're going solo, it will probably pay off (in general terms) to take guided tours.

makati
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cost to do it your own and tours around iceland

ok, will check out hostels and buy stuff at the groceries.

how much would it cost to rent a car for 5 days? thanks

Canada
Level Contributor
8,390 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cost to do it your own and tours around iceland

<<how much would it cost to rent a car for 5 days? thanks>>> That question cannot be answered readily. It depends on the make and model of the car, if it standard/automatic and what type of insurance you want. But the answers can be found by you with a little online research of your own. Google "car rental in Iceland" and do some dummy bookings on the websites that come up.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cost to do it your own and tours around iceland

Just make sure you monitor weather and road conditions every morning on road.is and vedur.is and don't drive if there are conditions you aren't used to driving in or weather warnings.

Reply to: cost to do it your own and tours around iceland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted