We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting a car vs. the bus

Reading...
7 posts
Save Topic
renting a car vs. the bus

I have heard mixed responses to this. I am going to iceland late may early june. What are the opinions on renting a car vs taking the bus. We have an open itinerary and prefer to stay off the beaten path. Would the bus system work for us or do we need to rent a car? We have experience driving in snow, ice, mud conditions on dirt roads. So we are not worried about the skills?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renting a car vs. the bus

Rent a car !

B.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
600 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: renting a car vs. the bus

I agree. You should rent a car.

California
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: renting a car vs. the bus

definitely rent a car. we stopped many times as we were driving the ring road to take photos. there are many amazing things to see.

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: renting a car vs. the bus

Another vote for renting a car! Just note that you are not allowed to drive inland unless you rent a 4X4, and their rental is expensive!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: renting a car vs. the bus

Ok. but remember, being a good driver isn´t enough.

You have to be an EXPERT driver under all conditions, and willing to listen to advices from locals.

We´ve heard a lot from people that found renting easy.

How about hearing from the people that ran into all kind of trouble ?, or people that got billed for damages coused by driving what we call "normal roads" ?.

Unfortunately we hear of accidents, rollovers, drive off the road, hitting a sheep in the middle of the road, getting stuck in a river, (no insurance cover damages caused by that), or peoples getting lost in the highlands, and needing to be rescued.

Not to mention the fatal accidents we have every year, involving tourists in rentals.

If you are planning on renting a car in Iceland, have a look at this video: http://us.is/id/2693

B.

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: renting a car vs. the bus

I am absolutely shocked to read the last comment. Apparently Mr. Icelandicguide has never been anywhere else in the world! Iceland is one of the easiest places to drive! And I have been all over the world. Most roads out of Reykjavik are almost empty. The ring road is in good condition and very easy to drive. The dirt or gravel road parts are also good and most of them are now either already in the process of changing into regular roads. So what is he talking about?

I guess that he means the inland dirt roads. He is right there. So, if you decide to take a 4X4 and go inland, do your homework, drive always after a guided superjeep car. Their drivers are experts and professionals who do it everyday. The other possibility (which we did) if go inland to Landmannalaugar or Thorsmork from Reykjavik on one of those superjeep tours (there are many companies who offer them). This no doubt is a marvelous way to see the inland. The only disadvantage with these tours is their price: they are exteremely expensive. If you can afford it - I highly recommend them. Each tour is about 14 hours from Reykjavik. You can also take a superjeep tour from the Myvatn area to Askja. Also a great experience!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: renting a car vs. the bus

erirya

I think you are too easily shocked. It seems sound advice to hear the other side of the story, and you seem to agree with the bulk of it - avoid, or be very careful, driving by yourself on inland roads.

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: renting a car vs. the bus

Icelandicdriver was not talking about inland roads. He was talking about Iceland in general. I still insist that driving in Iceland is easier than driving inLondon... or italy, Germany or even in Pennsylvania.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: renting a car vs. the bus

monkey in a barrel,

"taking the bus"

Depending on where you are 'the' may be the operative word. In many areas scheduled services are sparse.

Drive - carefully - and you'll be fine.

erirya,

I also think you are too easily shocked.

Icelandic authorities are concerned about the number of foreign tourists involved in serious accidents. Many of them appear to become overconfident due to the absence of traffic on the roads, fail to recognise the hazards of single-track bridges, skid on loose surfaces on unsealed roads, or hit sheep or horses.

True, Iceland's roads present few hazards to careful, competent drivers, but unfortunately many drivers lack both those qualities.

California
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: renting a car vs. the bus

I'm also visiting Iceland in early June. I will be staying in Reykjavik for 5 days and am wondering if I should hire a car. I am planning to day at least one day superjeep tour. If I'm only there for 5 days do people recommend having a car for the whole time or are day tours suitable.

Please advice... Thank you !