We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Iceland or Southern Iceland?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
479 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Iceland or Southern Iceland?

We are planinng a trip to Iceland for 4-5 days. We cannot hope to see all the sites we want and are thinking about either doing one of the following:

1. Southern half of the country with the golden circle, driving to Skatafell and Hofn and back to Reyjkavik

2. Northern half ending at Akureyi and Myvatn, driving back to Reyjavik. (also possible including golden circle in this trip)

Please correct me in I am wrong, but I do not think we can do both halves in our 4-5 day trip.

My questions is: which half should we concentrate our vacation on? (our trip is from May 23rd to May28th)

Thanks!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,839 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Iceland or Southern Iceland?

The south, the north will be boring, and still in winter hibernation.

B.

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Iceland or Southern Iceland?

Last April we did 4 nights in Iceland with a rental car and drove along the south coast, which we absolutely loved.

Day 1 (arrival day) we spent in Reykjavik and stayed overnight at Fosshotel Baron. Day 2 we drove the Golden Circle, stopped at the waterfalls Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss, saw birds and black sand beaches at Dyrholaey (sp?) and the town of Vik and stayed outside of Vik at Hotel Hofdabrekka. Day 3 we drove to Jokulsarlon glacial lagoon, explored Skaftafell park some and stayed at Hotel Skaftafell. Day 4 we hiked around Skaftafell some more before driving back towards Reykjavik, staying overnight at Hotel Ranga in Hella. Our last day in Iceland we went to the Blue Lagoon on the way to the airport, which was fabulous and so relaxing. We seemed to have lots of time for the sites we saw and only regret not being able to go dog sledding (we would have had to add another day) or ice climbing in Skaftafell (the guide already had a full group).

Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you'll love it, it's such a beautiful country.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Iceland or Southern Iceland?

Hi,

I would personnaly go with the Southern half of the country, especially that time of the year. By doing so, you will see the diversity Iceland offers: Hot springs, superb waterfalls (Gulfoss, Skogafoss, Svartifoss), glacier, black sand beach, iceberg lagoon, etc. I also think that there is so much to see along the drive to Skaftafell, you can stop more often and it doesn't seem to be a long drive (I guess we just don't like to be in car). If you like hiking and there is no snow and your schedule permits, I suggest to take the trail next to Skogarfoss and walk along the Skoga river. We did that and it was just beautiful....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
479 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Iceland or Southern Iceland?

Thank all you guys for this info! It looks like we will be doing the south side of the country. Now we are torn on this: should we travel all the way to Vik, or make the extra trip further east all the way to Hofn?

5. Re: Northern Iceland or Southern Iceland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, August 28, 2009