We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uusikaupunki Trip Ideas Needed

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Uusikaupunki Trip Ideas Needed

Hi - my family is going to be in Uusikaupunki for two weeks for business. We have a one year old son. Any suggestions/recommendations for things to do/see? We will have a car for some of the time and some of the time we won't have a car.

Thanks!

h

Bonk Museum
Specialty Museums
Isokari Lighthouse
Islands, Marinas, National Parks, Boat Tours, Lighthouses
8 replies to this topic
Tampere
Level Contributor
508 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uusikaupunki Trip Ideas Needed

What time of the year will it be?

With car you should visit other cities, e.g. Rauma and Turku as Uusikaupunki is pretty small and you can mostly explore it without a car as well.

Mentioned in this post
Turku
Turku
Southwest Finland, Finland
Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uusikaupunki Trip Ideas Needed

We will be there the first two weeks of March.

Tampere
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uusikaupunki Trip Ideas Needed

We were on Uusikaupunki with our class in the autumn. We were there for a week. So I'm not really an expert but I have so many good memories from there that I couldn't help but to comment.

If you want to visit museums I would recommend the Culture-historical museum of Uusikaupunki (Ylinenkatu 11). It used to be upper class appartment built by a tobacco factory owner before it was turned into a museum. It has an attic showcasing nautical stuff and a court yard with little intresting exhibits. Its open Tue-Fri from 12-17. Few blocks behind was this tiny Sailors Home museum, but it's propably not open.

There is also a park of old windmills in the area which is worth checking out.

I could write about the harbour and the rest of the city centre but that's quit obvious anyway. But there was one thing that I thought was cool. Near the bus station is a little park and on one of the trees is a top hat. It was thrown there by the local inventor named Bonk over hundred years ago and it has stayed there ever since. Bonk was a so called crazy inventor and it was said that he threw the hat into air after having a heureka about his big invention (something to do with anchovies, can't remember :D). There is a little metal tag on the tree if you want to seek it out.

Otherwise I would simply advise to spend time in the nature. It really is the best thing in Finland. Go skiing, skating or tripskating if you find necessary equipments somewhere. Also try ice swimming, local saunas are listed in here uusikaupunki.fi/template_1.asp… (in finnish but some translator will surely help).

Have great time in Finland and if there is anything else you want to know dont hesitate to ask :)

Mentioned in this post
Finland
Finland
Europe
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,958 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uusikaupunki Trip Ideas Needed

Bonk? Hmm, right :D

There's actually a Bonk Museum in Uusikaupunki http://www.bonkcentre.fi/p1_eng.htm

Bonk is a trade mark for defunctional machines by an artist called Alvar Gullichsen. He has actually sold quite well those machines.

Mentioned in this post
Bonk Museum
Bonk Museum
13 Reviews
Uusikaupunki, Finland
Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uusikaupunki Trip Ideas Needed

Thanks for all the ideas! I really appreciate it! :)

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uusikaupunki Trip Ideas Needed

What is tripskating?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uusikaupunki Trip Ideas Needed

What is tripskating?

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,958 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uusikaupunki Trip Ideas Needed

"What is tripskating?"

=Tour skating (on natural ice like lakes, rivers etc.)

Reply to: Uusikaupunki Trip Ideas Needed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Uusikaupunki