We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Stockholm to Turku

Which Turku hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Stockholm to Turku

Hello,

BF and I are arriving in Stockholm, Arlanda on 20/12/13 at 09:40 AM. We want to get the ferry over to Turku. Can anyone very kindly please help us out as follows:

- transport from Stockholm, Arlanda airport to the ferry terminal?

- our (limited to date - we have only just booked our flights!) research shows there are only 2 ferries per day from Stockholm to Arlanda, one in the morning and one in the evening, would we be able to go off into Stockholm for the day or a few hours to look around etc and if so what are the travel options available?

- which are the best websites to book through for a good deal?

- as it's an 11 hour trip do you recommend booking a cabin for the ferry and if so are your experiences that this is expensive?

- if we don't book a cabin would we get a seat and be able to sleep etc?

Thank you so much in advance everybody, all advice is welcomed and greatly appreciated!

All the best from London!

Tack / Kiitos / Takk

~DL

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Stockholm to Turku

There are two ferry companies (Viking Line and TallinkSilja) offering cruises from Stockholm to Turku. Both of them have a day ferry and a night ferry doing the route, the timetables are very similar and so are their cruise entertainment. Viking has the newest ship, Viking Grace, but it does the Stockholm-Turku leg day-time.

In Turku they both dock next to each other, but in Stockholm Viking Line docks very close to the Old Town, whereas Tallink Silja docks at Värtan, north of the city center (Södra Hamnvägen 46). Metro station Gärdet is really close, it is the easiest route from the city center.

The ferries have plenty of restaurants (and partying people at nights), a spa, a tax-free shop and storage place for luggage, but not sitting compartments as such. If you wish to sleep, I would definitely recommend a cabin, and if you are taking the trip on a weekend, not in the lower class. People really let their hair down on cruise ships, lots of booze, sex etc.

It is cheaper to buy tickets directly from the company websites and compare the prices for one-way and two-way trips even if you would not be taking the return. They won't notice, but two-way trips (called cruises) are often on sale.

www.tallinksilja.com/en/web/int/book-a-cruise

…vikingline.com/en/…

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Stockholm to Turku

From Arlanda you can take the fast and expensive Arlanda Express train or the slower and more economical commuter train to Stockholm Central Station: www.swedavia.com/arlanda/to-from/train/ .

There are also buses to Stockholm Cityterminalen which is next door to the Central Station: http://www.swedavia.com/arlanda/to-from/bus/ . From the Central Station and Cityterminalen you can take the tube (TallinkSilja) or buses (TallinkSilja and Viking Line) to the harbour terminals.

London, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Stockholm to Turku

Thank you so much for your help, it is really appreciated!

We have booked our ferries and transport (we went with the buses) from Arlanda to Cityterminalen and then the bus again from there to the ferry port. We went with Viking.

On our way back we are staying one night in Stockholm on the 30th December. However, we just found out there are no buses from the Cityterminalen to Stockholm Arlanda airport on 31st December!

I wonder if you could recommend an alternative route to the bus for us at all? Can we get a train / tube as you mentioned? Our flight leaves at 7AM on 31st December from Arlanda to Gatwick, London.

Many many thanks!

~ DL

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Stockholm to Turku

Take the commuter train instead: http://sl.se/ficktid/vinter/H38.pdf . It runs daily. You can find the ticket price at the bottom of the page at sl.se/en/Visitor/Tickets/Visitor-tickets/ (125 SEK/person/oneway including the compulsory Arlanda passage fee supplement). You'd have to take the first (05:09) train.

Edited: 5:00 pm, November 10, 2013
Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Stockholm to Turku

Sorry, there' also a half an hour earlier service at 04:39 if you think that you'd want to arrive at the airport earlier. The 04:39 train will get you to Arlanda 05:16. The Arlanda Express will be running as well. If you're under 26 years old or holder of e.g. ISIC student card, the Arlanda Express will cost only 5 SEK more than the commuter train and will save you some 20 mins of journey time. Normal priced adult's single ticket for the Arlanda Express costs 260 SEK.

Paris, France
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Stockholm to Turku

Hello,

I'm planning with a friend to take the ferry around the 27th of July (probably by night to make the trip more "efficient" and to enjoy the strange atmosphere of the night -alcohol and dawn).

My only question is if it is necessary to book a ticket before the trip ?

If yes, how early should it be done (weeks, days) ?

Thanks

Baltimore
Level Contributor
7 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry from Stockholm to Turku

I possible book the ticket on the company's website. Sometimes it's not very full, but that's not always the case. When i took the ferry from Turku to Stockholm for a day trip, I took the evening ship and luckily was able to get decent sleep in the lower class cabin. On the way back it was far noisier, so it's difficult to plan around that. But overall, getting the cabin is the way to go if you even want to lay down, otherwise the only option is to sit rather uncomfortably at one of the tables on the upper decks--or drinking the night away.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry from Stockholm to Turku

Especially in summer (= ultimate peak season for the shipping companies) it is advisable to book ahead - as early as possible.

Buzau, Romania
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry from Stockholm to Turku

Please tell me how much ferry from Stockholm to Turku or Nortalje-Turku for a car and two (2) persoane in junie 22 .Se can ferry crossing without prior reservation? Please reply urgently .We thank you! Liviu Petrideanu. (petrideanu@yahoo.com)

Buzau, Romania
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry from Stockholm to Turku

Please tell me how much ferry from Stockholm to Turku or Nortalje-Turku for a car and two (2) persoane in junie 22 .Se can ferry crossing without prior reservation? Please reply urgently .We thank you! Liviu Petrideanu. (email petrideanu@yahoo.com )