We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I book the train from Helsinki to Tampere?

Which Tampere hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Should I book the train from Helsinki to Tampere?

Hello all,

I will be visiting Tampere on a day trip from Helsinki next month (and possibly another 2-hour return trip to Nokia, just for the sake of it). I am wondering if I should book the train ticket in advance - would it save money to book online or will the ticket price be just the same when I buy it on the day of travel?

Thanks a lot!

Calvin

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I book the train from Helsinki to Tampere?

Finnish Railways has often campaigns and also advance tickets that are cheaper and available only online. See http://www.vr.fi/en .

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,094 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I book the train from Helsinki to Tampere?

Prepurchase is cheaper, if bought early enough (and there are occasional campaigns as mentioned). However you are stuck with these tickets so you better be sure the times suit you.

The trains go like every hour and they very seldom are fully booked, for flexibily buying on the spot will not be a problem.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I book the train from Helsinki to Tampere?

Nokia has little to offer except for an excellent brewery, but you can get their products at any supermarket in Finland.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,094 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I book the train from Helsinki to Tampere?

The connection of the town Nokia and Nokia phones dates from way back when and that for sure is no reason to visit the town. Nokia is also famous of connecting their sewer to fresh water pipeline.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I book the train from Helsinki to Tampere?

If you're interested in the history of Nokia in Nokia, you can order a guided walk (1 h) where you hear about the roots and history of the company (that is no longer present in the town!) and walk through the original sites. Guiding fee is approx. 50 € for the first hour. nokiankaupunki.fi/matkailu/…

Without a guide the traces of Nokia in Nokia town are difficult to find.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I book the train from Helsinki to Tampere?

Thank y'all for your replies. In this case I will probably prefer pre-booking the tickets to save some money. And about Nokia, like I said, it will be purely for the sake of going there so it will not be the worst thing in the world if I spent all the time in Tampere instead. :)

@zam72, thank you for your suggestion of booking a guided tour in Nokia but 50EUR would seem quite expensive to me...

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I book the train from Helsinki to Tampere?

Here's a cheaper way to get the best out of Nokia: http://tinyurl.com/ngon5k5

Edited: 2:16 pm, November 24, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I book the train from Helsinki to Tampere?

best thing in Nokia is a "Kuuma koira". it's a big doughnut (possumunkki) filled with sausage. just cant remember if there is any place left that sells one.

9. Re: Should I book the train from Helsinki to Tampere?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, January 11, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Tampere