We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry trip Stockholm - Tallinn - Helsinki

London, UK
Level Contributor
96 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry trip Stockholm - Tallinn - Helsinki

I am planning a mini trip for February. I am very keen to experience the ice-breaking ferry trip. Can I assume that there will be ice on the sea during the first week of February ? I was in Helsinki in February 2006 and there was plenty of ice around.

I have also searched the internet for various possiblities. As far as I could find, the only ferry company that does the trip of Stockholm - Tallinn is Tallink. Is this true ? I have looked at their website but it is very difficult to navigate and I have failed to get any response from them on email. Do they have a UK based booking agent ?

In terms of the Tallinn - Helsinki route, I am aware that there are more options. We do not need the express ferry, so which of the normal commuter one is better ?

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Finland
Level Contributor
174 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry trip Stockholm - Tallinn - Helsinki

At the moment it really is not winter-like in Helsinki at all. For example today it was +5 Celsius, there is no snow and no ice either. First week of February is still a month away so getting that ice-breaking experience may be possible but considering how exceptional this winter has been I would not count on it.

I searched Tallinn's own tourist website and it seems that it is in fact only Talllink that does the Tallinn-Stockholm route.

…tallinn.ee/fpage/…bysea

Could not find a UK-based booking agent for Tallink mentioned on their website. Why don't you try (i) calling Tallink or (ii) contacting a major UK based booking agent to see if they offer Tallink trips.

Commuter ferries between Helsinki-Tallinn. I've personally usually taken the superfast ferries. I've also tried the Eckero Line standard ferry which was a rather basic experience. There was not really much to do as the restaurants were kind of lame and the shops were small. Tallink has a couple new vessels, if I recall correctly, operating the Helsinki-Tallinn route. They might offer somewhat more pleasurable experience.

Mentioned in this post
Eckero Line
Eckero Line
277 Reviews
Helsinki, Finland
London, UK
Level Contributor
96 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry trip Stockholm - Tallinn - Helsinki

Thanks synnove.

I was in Helsinki in Feb 2006 and had a fantastic time, especially the trip to Suomellina (? spelling) on the Shrove weekend.

I have tried a couple of 'booking office' in UK who allergedly deal with Tallink but they told me they are not able to book on that route. I was advised to try their website instead (which I had before calling them). I think I will have no choice but to call them in Estonia. I hope they speak English.

Am not too bothered if there is not much to do in the ferry for the Tallinn - Helsinki route. I think the 'slow' ferry is around 3.5 hours. I am sure I could use this time to just relax.

Mentioned in this post
Estonia
Estonia
Europe
London
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry trip Stockholm - Tallinn - Helsinki

I have used company called Guild Travel as they book Silja Line(which is part of Tallink). I am not sure if they do Tallink, but give them a try. They have website: www.guildtravel.com.

Finland
Level Contributor
174 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry trip Stockholm - Tallinn - Helsinki

Hi DrET,

Very surprising to hear you are having this much trouble booking the trip Stockholm-Tallinn (or is it infact going to be from Tallinn to Stockholm)? My experience is that most people (at least younger) speak very good English in Tallinn, so you should not have problems there.

I came up with one more site you might try. That's the last idea I came up with.

As Tallink and Silja Line are now part of the same Group you could try Silja Line's website to book the Tallinn trip. It seems that the online booking systems are still different. Silja Line's website can be found at http://www.silja.com/en/

Good luck!

Glad to hear you liked Suomenlinna. It's a lovely place although I must admit I prefer it during the summer time.

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
London, UK
Level Contributor
96 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry trip Stockholm - Tallinn - Helsinki

Thank you for all the comments.

I have changed my plan as they are taking the ferry out of service on the day I planned to do the crossing. Also, I have been told by a friend that the sea is not 'iced' yet this year.

I, however, am thinking of doing Helsinki and Tallinn in the summer, and maybe to include a couple of nights in the northern region of Finland to experience the mid-night sun.

Mentioned in this post
Finland
Finland
Europe
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry trip Stockholm - Tallinn - Helsinki

Hi DrET

We've been on the Tallink boats between Helsinki, Tallinn and Stockholm several times and enjoyed every trip.

I find their online booking system difficult and always reserve by phone.

Jackie

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,421 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry trip Stockholm - Tallinn - Helsinki

The problem with online booking with Tallink is that they don't have a version of the website in English. Seems pretty amazing to me as there must be others apart from English native-speakers who wd find English easier than Estonian, Latvian, Finnish, Russian or Swedish (once you're on board English does appear around the place a bit)

So the option for those of us who are speakers of Germanic languages is to try and make sense of the Swedish site, or to phone up (which is what I did ). With English and German I cd more or less work out the Swedish version but no chance of understanding the finer points. They also had a problem with their phone lines so I'd even sent an e-mail to ask about telephone bookings in English. I was told all operators can take the booking in English and I had no problem once I cd get through (temporary fault with phones).

Germany
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry trip Stockholm - Tallinn - Helsinki

We are going to Helsinki in the end of february. Is it necessary to book the trip to Tallin some weeks before from home or can we just go to the ferry terminals and check in on the day we want to go?

Also, what is the best option for a ferry trip at that time?

9. Re: Ferry trip Stockholm - Tallinn - Helsinki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 23, 2009