We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helsinki in mid October ??

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Helsinki in mid October ??

Hello,

We will be in Helsinki for 3-4 days in Mid-October (part of our central/northern EuropeanTrip) and were wondering if we should include another 4 days to visit Lapland for the Northern Lights.What will the approx. temperatures be at that time and IS this a good time for a sighting.Am keeping my fingers crossed for a positive reply. Many Thanx in advance.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helsinki in mid October ??

The southern parts of the country are at their saddest. It's really dark, trees are without leaves, it rains a lot and the winds are really chilly. There might be slush or,maybe just not yet. Most of the Finns really want to move abroad at this time of year.

For Lapland I cannot say. But I think that people tend to go there a bit sooner if they want to see the great autumn colours, ruska. There may not be a proper snow cover there either.

If it's possible, choose September or December, there is much more to see then.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,087 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helsinki in mid October ??

On a 4-day trip in Lapland, your chances of seeing the aurora borealis are slim. Also, October is not the best season for seeing Lapland - the autumn colours are over and winter is not properly under way. You'd probably do better to look somewhere else. Consider a day trip or overnight to Tallinn, for instance.

3. Re: Helsinki in mid October ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 30, 2015