We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Hungary to St Petersberg to Helsinki

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Hungary to St Petersberg to Helsinki

I was wondering if it were possible to drive from Hungary to St Petersberg and then to Helsinki are are there restrictions for non-Europeans?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Hungary to St Petersberg to Helsinki

Many car rental agencies forbid taking the cars to Russia, presumably due to the high risk of theft and road accidents. For example, the terms and conditions of Avis Hungary forbid taking a rental car to Albania, Belarus, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Russia, Ukraine. Other agencies might be more lax, but the risks presumably would be reflected in their rates.

I have no idea how easy and fast it would be to buy a car in Hungary. Once you arrive in Finland I don't think you would be able to resell quickly a car with a foreign registration.

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Hungary to St Petersberg to Helsinki

thank you so much - I didn't realise that - so your information is really useful. I will have to explore other ways

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,094 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Hungary to St Petersberg to Helsinki

The drive from Hungary to Tallinn (all inside EU) is easy and there are a number of interesting places on the way. For Russia you'll need a visa, As mentioned a rental car would be a problem. Anyway a oneway rental cross border is very expensive.

For those interesting places in the Central-Europe I's recommend a train.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Hungary to St Petersberg to Helsinki

Thanks to our ridiculous taxation it would be pretty impossible to sell a cheap car with foreign plates. Maybe if you could find a hobbyist, who registers it as a rally car as motorsport vehicles are tax free.

But if Russia and Baltics (which surprises me) are not an option with a rental, it would be pretty straightforward - albeit a bit longer - drive to go through Germany, Denmark and Sweden. Then take a ferry from Stockholm to Turku/Helsinki.

But if you would be allowed to drive through the Baltics, you could go along Via Baltica from Warsaw all the way to Tallinn. Then take a ferry to Helsinki. You would be within Schengen all the time, so no problem with visas or border control. Via Baltica is a popular road for taking a road trip from Finland to Central Europe.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Via_Baltica

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_route_E67

Personally I would choose a train/bus option and collect a few cities on the way.

5. Re: Driving from Hungary to St Petersberg to Helsinki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, February 18, 2014
Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Hungary to St Petersberg to Helsinki

Hei Kari,

Welcome to Trip Advisor! Please take a look at the guidelines, especially the rules concerning self advertisement. Post boosting your own services are deleted fast.

7. Re: Driving from Hungary to St Petersberg to Helsinki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 20, 2015