We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Helsinki

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Helsinki

We are planning a trip for early May to Mid-June in Poland, the

Baltic States, St. Petersburg, Finland and Scandinavia. We are comfortable with most of the trip and just need help with time allotments in four places.

We have 1.5 days in Tallin, 3 days in St. Petersburg, 1 day in Helskinki and 3 days in Stockholm. We are "generalists" & like a variety of things including history and art museums, palaces with their gardens, old and new architecture, and mingling with each country's people.

Is this enough time in these four places? We have plenty of time in Denmark and Norway. In Denmark, shall we eliminate Odense, Aurhas, and Aalborg and give more time to the places mentioned above? Thanks for your help.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,027 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Helsinki

I think your list is dauntingly long (and perhaps you haven't mentioned all your destinations - it seems likely you'll be in Copenhagen as well, at least). You've only allowed time for a quick, cruise tourist style runaround in Helsinki and Tallinn, engaging in one or two of your interests. If it were up to me, I'd start the trimming with Aalborg and reconsider Odense as well.

It's easy to be tempted to try to cover too much ground on an intercontinental trip, but it's a mistake that can lead to your main memories being of trains and airports.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to Helsinki

Sounds like you plan a project 'Do 30 cities in 30 days'. Do you really want to come to Helsinki for 1 day? OK, it's conveniently on the way, but I suggest you to really look thru your list once more and rethink how much time you want to spend on different modes of transportation and lounges.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to Helsinki

Thank you for your input, we will reconsider our plans based on your input.

Jim T

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to Helsinki

Thank you for your input,I tend to agree with your comments and will change the itinerary accordingly. Another question, is it worth going toTapiolan to see the Weegee Center?

Jim T

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to Helsinki

Weegee totally depends on your interests. See the coming exhibitions at http://www.weegee.fi/en-US

The trip there from downtown Helsinki takes about 30 mins one way. The main Tapiola area, famous for its architecture, is a mess at the moment because of the construction of a metro station, but doesn't affect the Weegee since it is a bit further from the chaos.

On a 2 day first trip to the Helsinki area, I'd save this for a later time unless there is an exhibition of your favourite artist.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,027 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip to Helsinki

Skip Tapiola, it'll cost you hours for little of interest. The only must-see art gallery on a short visit is Ateneum for its Finnish classics, and that's conveniently smack in the heart of Helsinki.

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a trip to Helsinki

If you're interesed in modern art, rather check out some of our excellent galleries downtown

http://www.galerieforsblom.com/

http://www.anhava.com/

and the Design Forum & shop http://www.designforum.fi/shop_en/about

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
221 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a trip to Helsinki

I wish you luck Jim T. My son and I are going to visit Finland, Denmark, Sweden and Norway for 7 weeks in August-September and we are having trouble trying to decide what to drop. We have narrowed it down by omitting much of the north, with the exception of Norway where we are going from Bergen to Kirkenes with the Hurtigruten. We decided the northern areas really deserve a trip of their own in another season.

I will be interested to see what you finalise. We have planed 2 days in Helsinki at least with another in Turku and then some time to visit the bear trips/hides on the Russian border.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a trip to Helsinki

As a US tourist for a number of years I'll make a hasty generalization and say that Americans try and visit all too many destinations during their trips abroad, and we were guilty of that the first time we went over. If you are one of those people in the World who are afforded lots of vacation (holiday) time, you have no problem.

However, there are a lot of folks in the US who are alotted two, or maybe three weeks of vacation time a year, and consequently try to cover a lot of ground after getting over on their $1300 airfare.

that said, I don't condone Jim T's attempts here either.

Jim, trim the list and enjoy yourself wherever you go. I'd say your best bet, if you've not been, would be flying into Helsinki, (SAS has had some good fares) then boat to St Petersburg, and back to Helsinki.

If you take the boat to St P you won't need a Russian visa, although I think you then need to use their (Russian) hotels and tours..............have no idea of cost.

What we did was Helsinki - Tallin - Riga - and back to Helsinki for flight home. Total 9 nights. Not exhausting, and saw a lot. Unfortunately had to bypass St Petersburg, but we'll be back.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip.

tptr

10. Re: Planning a trip to Helsinki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:49 am, March 26, 2014