We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helsinki Airport Layover

Tokyo, Japan
4 posts
Save Topic
Helsinki Airport Layover

I'm planning to fly from Tokyo to Paris in August and I managed to find a relatively cheap Finnair ticket that takes me to Helsinki (both planes are Finnair planes). Layover time at the airport is only 45 minutes, and since I've heard some stories about problems with baggage, I'm thinking of just taking my luggage with me as a carry-on.

Can anyone tell me if this is even possible or should I give up and just find a different flight?

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helsinki Airport Layover

If you can take just carry-on, you shouldn't have any problems. You'll go through the connecting flight security check + passport control as you are coming from a non-Shengen country. Just move quickly and it should be fine. With checked-in luggage, there's always the chance that your bags won't make it to the connecting flight. But - I don't know if this is true, it's just the experience I've had - if your connecting flight is with the same company the bags are more likely to be there for the next plane too.

However, and this has happened to me many times, if you first flight is delayed you will almost inevitably miss the Paris connection. Of course you will then get on another plane to Paris without extra cost, but this means you most likely will have to exit the passenger area to get to the flight desks for ticket exchange.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,032 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helsinki Airport Layover

You're unlikely to have any problems with only carry-on. In any case, since both legs are booked with Finnair, if the inbound flight is delayed, Finnair will put you on the next available flight for the onward journey. Passport control is smooth and fast in Helsinki.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helsinki Airport Layover

You do not have to leave the transit area to have your tickets rebooked or rerouted should you miss the connecting flight. Transfer Service desks 2 (at gate 25) and 3 (at gate 32) will be at your service. 45 min is the minimum connecting time in Helsinki, so if you boome both legs on the same ticket, Finnair will be responsible for getting you and your luggage to Paris in a way or another should the first flight be delayed. The problem for traveling with hand luggage only is the small amount you're allowed to take (max 8 kg together with the very strict rules on liquids).

Tokyo, Japan
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Helsinki Airport Layover

Thanks for the replies!

I don't think I'll be taking any liquids with me on the carry-on, so the only thing I'd have to worry about is how much stuff I pack. I'll try to pack light and if I end up needing something, I'll just buy it wherever I happen to be at the moment.

I was a bit worried since the layover time was 1 hour and 10 minutes the first time I checked the flight, and it was just recently shortened to 45 minutes. If my flight to Helsinki isn't delayed, though, it seems like I'll just about make it on time, so I think I'll hope for the best and go for it.

Thanks again for all the help!

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,270 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helsinki Airport Layover

You'll be fine. The Asian routes are really important to Finnair so they will keep the gate open to the last minute that the passengers from possibly delayed flights from Asia will make it. I've myself been on a Finnair plane that was delayed 5 mins or so to get a group of Chinese passengers on board.

Should you take a check in luggage, it will be delivered to your hotel if it does not make the switch of planes in Helsinki. No problem with that either. Just don't pack anything absolutely vital in the suitcase.

Budapest
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Helsinki Airport Layover

Hi there,

40 minutes in Helsinki (from JFK to BUD) could be enough? We will have luggages as well.

Thanks

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helsinki Airport Layover

Only if you manage to get them on the same ticket.

8. Re: Helsinki Airport Layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 27, 2015