We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VR ticket changes

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
VR ticket changes

Initially I bought VR ticket online from Kemi to Helsinki airport. As if visit Tallinn, I should go to Helsinki central railway station that means need to change ticket. Found charges will be involved and stated EUR5/10. Please advise what does it mean. Thanks.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VR ticket changes

If you have a regular basic or flexible ticket you can change it at the VR customer service: http://www.vr.fi/en/index/junaliput/faq.html > Can basic ticket be changed. If you have bought an advance ticket, it cannot be changed.

Contact info: http://www.vr.fi/en/index/asiakaspalvelu.html .

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: VR ticket changes

Just continue with the same ticket to Helsinki Central Station. If you bought your ticket to Helsinki Airport I bet you would be getting off in Tikkurila. Tikkurila is just minutes away fom the central railway station. They will not be checking tickets in long distance trains coming from Lapland between Tikkurila and Helsinki central.

That's what I would do. But if you are really worried, explain your situtation to the conductor on the train and ask for a ticket between Tikkurila and Helsinki - they sell tickets on the train too. I'm pretty sure he would give you the same answer.

Edited: 1:57 am, November 22, 2013
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VR ticket changes

I would follow PasiRoi's advice.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VR ticket changes

Yes, I thought you'd have to change it to completely different train service. If you've bought the ticket to Tikkurila, there's even no price difference involved whether you go to Tikkurila or Helsinki Central Railway Station.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VR ticket changes

What does the train ticket to the Airport actually cover? If I have a ticket from e.g. Rovaniemi to the airport do I have also the bus from Tikkurila to the Airport covered? I had no idea I could buy a train ticket to the Airport even when there's no train station, interesting.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VR ticket changes

BTW; I cannot purchase a train ticket from the Central Railway Station to the Airport (gives an error msg), but I can choose a trip Central Railway Station to the Helsinki Bus Station. Just gives an instruction to walk!

There also seems to be Helsinki Olympic Stadium available as a station, even more puzzling, since there's no railway station either. How confusing is that there are railway stations in drop down list that actually are not railway stations.

Edited: 4:10 am, November 22, 2013
Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: VR ticket changes

Coming from north it gives you a bus ticket to a bus number 61. I don't know what that actual ticket looks like, and how it would work on a bus if you choose an e-ticket that is read by a scanner, but that's what they are selling.

A bit confusing for someone who doesn't know how to get to the airport with public transport, and totally useless for those who do.

8. Re: VR ticket changes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 24, 2014