We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn on 25 December

Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn on 25 December

Hi,

My husband, sister and I are arriving in Helsinki on Christmas morning after an overnight StPeterline Ferry from St Petersburg.

We are planning on staying for a few days in Tallinn. I'm not sure whether we should spend a night in Helsinki on 25 December, or take a ferry straight to Tallinn.

Using the site: https://laevapiletid.ee/ it seems there is only one ferry on 25 Dec, at 6.30pm with Viking Line (3 hours). Is this correct? There is only one ferry? Is it ok to book using this site? I found it on the Helsinki forum.

If we do stay in Helsinki on the evening of the 25th, it seems that there won't be much to do/many places open as Christmas is very family oriented in Finland?

Thank you for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Northwestern District, Russia
Tallinn
Tallinn
Harju County, Estonia
Finland
Finland
Europe
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn on 25 December

I wonder why that website doesn't mention e.g. the Tallink Silja line. They have departures from Helsinki to Tallin on Dec. 25th at 10:30, 14:00 and 17:30 hours. See more at tallinksilja.com/en/web/int/helsinki-tallinn. A one-way trip on their ships takes two hours, and the trips start from the Western harbor, the same that the St. Peterline use.

Although Christmas indeed is a family oriented event in Finland, some places are open anyway, such as the Garlic restaurant that's open 365/366 days a year. www.kynsilaukka.com/garlic/index-e.html

Mentioned in this post
Tallink Silja Line
Tallink Silja Line
119 Reviews
Tallinn, Estonia
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Tallinn
Tallinn
Harju County, Estonia
Finland
Finland
Europe
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,843 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn on 25 December

It's actually Christmas Eve that's the big family occasion in Finland, and practically the whole country closes for business in the early afternoon. There are some more services available on Christmas Day, though far from everything will be open.

Mentioned in this post
Finland
Finland
Europe
Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,831 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn on 25 December

The Icepark = the skating rink at the Railway Square will be open http://icepark.fi/opening-hours/

Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn on 25 December

Thanks everyone for your help with this! Much appreciated.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn on 25 December

There is also the traditional boys choir Cantores Minores christmas concert in Tuomiokirkko on the 25th, if I remember correctly, at 5pm.

www.cantoresminores.net/english/concerts.htm

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn on 25 December

Also, I remembered that Flamingo Spa is open on Christmas, and it is pretty quiet there at that time. A chance to familiarize with the Finnish Sauna culture, perhaps?

Edited: 1:48 am, November 14, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Flamingo Spa
Flamingo Spa
287 Reviews
Vantaa, Finland
Stockholm
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn on 25 December

I am planning a social event for Dec the 25th and 26th ! Both of them will be open events and the language at the events will be English ! Anybody who happens to be in Helsinki at the time of the events is welcome to participate ! Most of the attendees will be expats living in Helsinki.

I will put the invites here on the Helsinki Forum later when the invites are ready to be announced.

lt will not cost anything to participate ! Everyone just pays their one expenses !

Edited: 8:32 am, November 17, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Stockholm
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn on 25 December

I meant "Everyone just pays their OWN expenses !

Edited: 8:34 am, November 17, 2013
9. Re: Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn on 25 December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 19, 2014