We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interrail Pass for Finland on Helsinki destinations

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
38 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Interrail Pass for Finland on Helsinki destinations

I would like to visit Finland with my family this December and plan to travel Rovaniemi <-> Helsinki. On top, I plan to travel from Stockholm to Helsinki by Ferry. Does it worthwhile to buy a Finland Interrail pass. If so, may I know how to buy the tickets on the web using the discount rate for interrail pass?

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interrail Pass for Finland on Helsinki destinations

Interrail passes are available only to residents of Europe. A similar pass meant for non-Europeans is called Eurail: http://www.eurail.com/ . What do you mean by buying tickets? For trains you don't buy any separate tickets since the pass is your ticket (a supplement may be charged for certain train services). On Viking Line and Tallnk/Silja Line Eurail pass entitles to a discount on the passenger ticket part but cabins, berths and other such "supplements" will be charged with normal tariffs. On Viking Line you cannot get the discount on the net but you'll have to contact their sales office. Details for Silja and Tallink: tallinksilja.com/en/…19052637 . If you're only going to travel this one/two legs by train in Finland, a pass is hardly worthwhile.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
38 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interrail Pass for Finland on Helsinki destinations

Thank you for your information. What I mean is how I reserve the seats using the pass as what I do to buy the ticket on the net. Do you mean if I need to buy return ticket of Rovaniemi <-> Helsinki and Ferry ticket from Stockholm to Helsinki, it is not worthwhile to buy the eurail pass?

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interrail Pass for Finland on Helsinki destinations

Do your research and calculate the total price for your tickets and compare them against the pass price. The Eurail pass is usually not worth the money if you're going to travel only one return journey by a train. Finnish railways have often offers around, too. Seat reservations can be made at VR booking offices or telephone service but not online. See http://www.vr.fi/en .

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
38 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interrail Pass for Finland on Helsinki destinations

Thank you for your update.

I am in a hurry on research. My initial estimation of the Eurorail pass for 3 person in 3 days would be about Euro 330. The night train in VR was about Euro 180 per leg. However, what I am not sure is the reservation fee or other surcharge like compartment etc. I do not know whether 2nd class Euro pass can book the night train.

From your reply, seem I should look for the offer on VR, right.

Hence, need some expert advice for the planning.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interrail Pass for Finland on Helsinki destinations

We cannot do the basic research for you since only you know your exact timetables and preferences. Prices depend also on the chosen service, so please see vr.fi/en/…sleepingcompartments.html . You can do "pseudo bookings" on the VR website to see the exact price of a sleeping compartment or berth (they are normal priced also with the Eurail pass). The price you first see includes a seat reservation, so make sure you change it and add a sleeping compartment to the price.

About offers: currently a Helsinki - Rovaniemi train ticket (or v.v.) can cost as little as 33€/one way of travel. Price of your travel you'll have to calculate yourself or contact a travel agency.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interrail Pass for Finland on Helsinki destinations

The point is that usually

- interrail/eurail entitles you to a free/discounted personal ticket, not a sleeping compartment ticket, so be sure to check what you get with what discount card, it tends not to save money on a single trip

- by buying well in advance and choosing more unpopular times you can save plenty of money on VR. Their own website is usually the cheapest option

- As to the ferry prices, a single trip tends to be more expensive than a twoway trip called "a cruise", risteily. All possible youth, student etc. discounts are on the single way tickets, this I imagine would be the case of Interrail-type of discounts as well. So it may be a cheaper option to book a cruise, whether you use the return or not. And forget the discount cards

7. Re: Interrail Pass for Finland on Helsinki destinations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 25, 2014