We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October Layover in Helsinki

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
October Layover in Helsinki

Hi all-

My fiance and I are heading to Italy/Paris on our honeymoon and have a layover in Helsinki (arriving 8:45AM and departing from Rome at 4PM)- which gives us about 3-4 hours in Helsinki with travel time.

Looking at the posts- looks like there is a bus that goes to City Center? Anything we must do while there for a short time? Any finnish foods that are "must eats"? Thanks so much!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,492 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October Layover in Helsinki

Try looking at the FAQs. For instance: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189934-i444-k3868…

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
74 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October Layover in Helsinki

The old town area is more than enough for the time you have, maybe the market at the harbor is open so you can have a reindeer burger.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
118 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October Layover in Helsinki

Yes, there is a bus connection between airport and the city center. Buslines 414, 451, 615 and 620 are fine, but the Finnair airport bus is faster, because it has only a couple of stops on it's route. Busdrivers sell tickets. The Finnair bus ticket costs a little more than the regular busses, but it still is a lot cheaper than a taxi.

Try creame salmon soup, that's classic. For a Finnish snack I recommend Karelian pastys, you can buy those in every grocery store and market square. Don't buy the ones that are put in a sealed plastic bags before delivery and stored in cold, look for a pastry stand where you can bag pastries yourself.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October Layover in Helsinki

What date exactly are you travelling? You might be lucky enough to be able to visit the annual Baltic Herring Fair that starts on October 6th and lasts for one week. There you will find real Finnish "must eat food"! :)

portofhelsinki.fi/HelsinkiBalticHerringFair2…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October Layover in Helsinki

Excellent! We will be there Oct 7th- and will definitely check it out! Thank you!

6. Re: October Layover in Helsinki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 02, 2014