We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sandy beaches in Helsinki?

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
sandy beaches in Helsinki?

Are there nice sandy beaches in or around Helsinki? Which is the closest to city center and what transportation is required? Thanks

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
95 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sandy beaches in Helsinki?

Hi,

There are probably lots but I only know of one, I think it is called Hietaranta, it is about 15 mins walk from Kamppi metro station.

It's very popular - when I went in July a few years ago it was packed, felt like somewhere in the Med !

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,839 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sandy beaches in Helsinki?

Yes, it's Hietaranta.

Here's a live cam:

testbed.vaisala.com/banner/vaisalawthr.php…

About 1,5 km from the Kamppi Metro Station. Bus 55A goes there.

Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sandy beaches in Helsinki?

Thanks for the info. I was wondering, does the water get warm enough for swimming in July in a day like today when the cam was showing 23 degrees? Are there showers on the beach? Thanks again

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sandy beaches in Helsinki?

Sumguy where are you from In Canada?

Pibb,

Finland
Level Contributor
174 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sandy beaches in Helsinki?

The water samples taken June 12-15 showed water temperature was around 16-18 degrees Celsius.

Now that the air temperature has been (and will hopefully remain) above 20 Celsius the ocean is bound to get warmer too. For updated information on water temperature and alga growth you should contact Helsinki environmental services. This is their contact number +358 9 7312 2730. I think standard office hours apply (ie. from 8 am to 4pm).

Personally I think Hietaniemi (or Hietsu as locals often call it) is often too crowded. I would suggest you also take a look at Pihlajasaari. It is an island just outside Helsinki. It takes about 10 minutes by boat from Kaivopuisto park to get there and the island has beautiful cliffs and beaches. There is also a cafeteria on the island.

6. Re: sandy beaches in Helsinki?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:23 am, August 13, 2009