We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices/Ferry Ticket Market Square to Suomenlinna & 3T Tram

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malibu, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Prices/Ferry Ticket Market Square to Suomenlinna & 3T Tram

I've been able to figure out all of the important information for the ferry to Suomenlinna like how to get there, what to do there, etc., but I cannot figure out the price of the ferry ticket from Market Square to Suomenlinna Fortress. We will be in Helsinki for only one day on August 6, 2013 on the cruise ship. Can anyone tell me the cost of a ferry ticket to Suomenlinna in August?

Similarly, we are considering taking the 3T/3B Tram around the city. What is the cost of that ticket in August? Am I correct that we can purchase the ticket from the driver when we get on the tram? Do we need exact change?

Thanks for the help!

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,839 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices/Ferry Ticket Market Square to Suomenlinna & 3T Tram

One hour ticket from driver is 2,80 in Helsinki. Suomenlinna return ticket is 5,00. If I were you I'd get a 24 hour ticket for 8,00. Valid for all public transportation in Helsinki.

Drivers take bills up to 20,00. No need for exact change.No cards accepted.

If you take a bus or tram from the harbour it makse sense to buy the 24 h ticket from the driver.

Edited: 2:09 am, February 12, 2013
Malibu, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices/Ferry Ticket Market Square to Suomenlinna & 3T Tram

When you said that the "Suomenlinna return ticket is 5,00," do we pay just the one time and the round-trip fare is a total of 5,00? Or do we pay 5,00 on the way there and again, another 5,00 on the way back? Also, could you please tell me how much the ticket is for the 3T/3B tram if we want to ride the full route? I'm not certain we will have time to do the tram, and therefore, I'm not sure that it would make any sense to buy the 24 hour ticket. I want to compare the cost of paying the Suomenlinna ferry round-trip ticket and the tram ticket individually so I can decide whether I should buy the 24 hour ticket even if we only go to Suomenlinna. I hope I'm not being too confusing.

Do we buy the 24 hour ticket at the same place - the departure quay or the summer kiosk at Market Square - as we buy the Suomenlinna ferry ticket? Is it possible to buy the 24 hour ticket directly from the driver either on the ferry or on the tram? Thanks for your help!

Edited: 6:29 pm, February 12, 2013
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,492 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices/Ferry Ticket Market Square to Suomenlinna & 3T Tram

As the previous reply from Mr Bear has already told you, you can buy a 24-hour ticket from the driver. You will probably need a bus from your ship's dock to the centre anyway, so the difference between the 24-hour ticket price and single tickets for each leg is small change and you can make up your mind about the tram later as time allows. Get the day ticket on the bus from the port and all your transport problem are solved. It's a bargain.

Edited: 11:51 pm, February 12, 2013
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices/Ferry Ticket Market Square to Suomenlinna & 3T Tram

polarbear and Johnthefinn are absolutely right, the transportation fees in Helsinki are rather expensive anyway just for a single ticket.

5. Re: Prices/Ferry Ticket Market Square to Suomenlinna & 3T Tram

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 15, 2014