We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Petersburg Ferry Questions

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
St. Petersburg Ferry Questions

We just booked the two night hotel package on the Princess Maria from Helsinki to St. Petersburg. We leave on the 15 of June at 19:00. We arrive back to Helsinki at 8:00 in the morning on Wednesday, June 18th. My question is how would I get from the port (West?) to the airport, and how long will it take to get from the port to the airport (cost also included would be beneficial as well). We will be flying out to Stockholm later that day on the 18th. There is a flight at 11:15. Should I book that, or should I look for one later?

We're really looking forward to our first visit to Finland!

Thanks!

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Petersburg Ferry Questions

Tram 9 from the terminal to the central railway station and bus 615 from the station to the airport (4.50€/person), duration about an hour if the timetables match. See the route planner: http://tinyurl.com/9wcvdzo . To be on the safer side, you should take a later flight, as it might take some time before you are out of the terminal, but if you make it out of the ship and passport control quickly you'll make it. You can also take a taxi to the airport; it'll take about 30 min and will cost approx. 40-50€ depending on the number of passengers (distance is about 20 km).

You should be at the airport min about an hour beforet he flight.

Edited: 1:28 pm, February 06, 2013
Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Petersburg Ferry Questions

Thank you so much for your insight. There is another flight out at 14:15 for the same price. I think I might play it safe and book that flight.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Petersburg Ferry Questions

A regional ticket of 4.50€ (can be bought from the driver in cash, max. 20€ notes accepted, or from a ticket vending machine), is valid for a transfer within 80 min of the purchase/start of the first journey. If you plan not to go straight away to the airport, you should buy a tram ticket from a vending machine for 2€ (from the driver an internal Helsinki ticket costs 2.80€), and then a regional ticket (4.50€) to the airport. In this case you may also take the Finnair City Bus to the airport (6.30€, public transport tickets not valid). The Finnair City Bus goes every 20 mins, journey time ca. 30 min: …finnair.com/files/pdf/FINNAIR_CITY_BUS_TIME…

Bus 615 goes approx. every 15 mins in the day time, journey time about 40 min.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Petersburg Ferry Questions

This really helps! Thanks!

Does anyone know what time you can board the ferry both in Helsinki and in St. Petersburg? I booked the flights, ferry, hotels today! Hopefully, I'll get this all put together soon so I won't be such a nuisance. :)

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Petersburg Ferry Questions

Check in and boarding in Helsinki is at 15:30-18.30; in St. Petersburg at 15:00-18:00.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Petersburg Ferry Questions

Thanks! I just received my vouchers and confirmation today. It said that boarding can begin 3.5 hours before departure from Helsinki and closes 30 minutes before departure. For St. Petersburg it opens 4 hours before departure and closes 1 hour before departure. Spot on your advice! Thanks!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Petersburg Ferry Questions

You are getting good advice already.

We took the St. Peter Line cruise last summer and were truly impressed.

Planning to do it again this summer. Just keep in mind it may take some time to get through the customs. That was the only delay we experienced.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Petersburg Ferry Questions

We are really looking forward to this trip. How long would you say it takes to get through customs both in St. Petersburg and back again in Helsinki?

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Petersburg Ferry Questions

In St. Petersburg anything between 15 min (if you manage to rush out of the ship among the very first passengers) to well over an hour. If you book a sightseeing tour from the shipping company, or one is included in the package, you may benefit from a priority disembarkation in St. Petersburg (usually via the car deck).

In Helsinki end it's somewhat faster but the non EU citizens' queues are longer and slower than the dedicated queues for the EU/Schengen treaty passport holders.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Petersburg Ferry Questions

Thanks. We signed up for the shuttle only as far as packages.