We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick day trip outside of Helsinki in December?

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland Oregon
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Quick day trip outside of Helsinki in December?

I will be visiting Helsinki for a few days the end of December. Any suggestions of a destination an hour or less from the city by train? I want to see a little bit of the Finnish countryside, a small town or some good sites. My daughter suggested Turku? Any thoughts? Thanks

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,849 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick day trip outside of Helsinki in December?

Try Hämeenlinna.

Turku is 2 hrs by train from Helsinki. And, btw, they don't regard themselves as living in a small rural town.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,507 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick day trip outside of Helsinki in December?

Hämeenlinna is a good suggestion. Head for the picturesque castle, which contains several museums.

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick day trip outside of Helsinki in December?

Porvoo would also be a compact and idyllic town. No train though, less than an hour by bus.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
8,994 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick day trip outside of Helsinki in December?

Without being rude, be prepared for a lot of trees - Finland is 75% forest and 10% lakes, so there isn't a lot of 'countryside'.

An hour out of Helsinki on our way to Oulu my wife asked 'do you think the trees will ever stop ?' They didn't. A visit to a small town could be charming, though.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick day trip outside of Helsinki in December?

The least of trees along the tracks are within two-hour radius from Helsinki. Further than that it is most likely trees with intermittent villages or towns every 20 - 40 mins..

Reason: "Around 65 per cent of Finland’s total land area is covered in forest. Pine, fir and birch trees are significant features of the landscape. Forests are like water in Finland: ever-present, including in the major cities."

Source: visitfinland.com/article/…

6. Re: Quick day trip outside of Helsinki in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, December 16, 2013