We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second timer - any unique suggestions?

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
993 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Second timer - any unique suggestions?

Hi,

We are going Germany in June. On the way and return flight from Japan we make stop bys at Helsinki. I read some guide books and decided to go to 'regular' tourist spot on the way to Germany. (Only 24 hours, though.)

In return flight from Germany to Japan we make another stopover in Helsinki. And I am looking for something different. This time also we have only 24 hours in Helsinki. Does anyone have any idea what to do, where to go, how to walk for this second visit?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Nova Fairy Tales Helsinki
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
ParisRio
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Finland Local Guides
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Lomi Nature Travels
Walking Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
993 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Second timer - any unique suggestions?

mattkorey,

Thanks for the idea of <<<taking the tram ride that goes all through the city. It is tram 3T and it is an above ground, sort of cable car and you can really get a taste of the whole city in a way you couldn't if you were walking or taking a cab to one place>>>. It was not in my plan. Is it a round route? What station is best to get on and off? How long does it take? Thank you again.

Finland
Level Contributor
174 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Second timer - any unique suggestions?

Hi,

For the second leg of the trip, ie. arrival on June 16 and departure on 17 you might even want to venture outside Helsinki.

For example, on June 16 you should have enough time to take a helicopter trip to Tallinn, Estonia, for example. It takes about 20 minutes by helicopter to get there.

Or how about a trip to Porvoo, a small town outside Helsinki. I found the old part of the town very idyllic. You could actually take a boat to get there (and back). Or a train to Porvoo and a boat back.

Would either of these options be of interest to you?

Mentioned in this post
Tallinn
Tallinn
Harju County, Estonia
Porvoo
Porvoo
Uusimaa, Finland
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,958 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Second timer - any unique suggestions?

I assume that you want to see something else than Helsinki the second time?

I suggest Porvoo. A nice, small, well preserved old town about 1 hour from the airport. demo.emedia.fi/index.php…

Mentioned in this post
Porvoo
Porvoo
Uusimaa, Finland
Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
993 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Second timer - any unique suggestions?

synnove and polarbearfin,

Thanks for the advise.

Porvoo looks interesting. I will make some study.

Estonia! What an idea. Baltic three countries. Like reading history books. I will think about it.

Thanks anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Porvoo
Porvoo
Uusimaa, Finland
Estonia
Estonia
Europe
Espoo, Finland
9 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Second timer - any unique suggestions?

I would also suggest a trip to Tallinn. There are two alternatives: fast ferries (1,5 hours) and a helicopter (20 minutes). See e.g. www.silja.com and www.copterline.com - both offer on-line booking possibility. At least Silja Line offers reasonably-priced hotel packages. In case you decide to go to Tallinn, I suggest you to book a hotel there. Yet, you must notice that windy weather can cause problems because departures can be cancelled...

Europe
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Second timer - any unique suggestions?

Do NOT got to Zetar. I went on the recommendation of the post in this thread. It was terrible. Loud big screen showing sport on. Moody waiter and overcooked food which came out less then 5 minutes after we ordered it. So no doubt it was reheated.

I throughly recommend going to Tallinn in Estonia. It's a 1 1/2 boat trip on the fast ferry. The Old Town is beautiful. The quality of the food was amazing. I recommend Old Hansa for a medieval dinner!

Helsinki was a HUGE disappointment.

Mentioned in this post
Estonia
Estonia
Europe
17. Re: Second timer - any unique suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, August 13, 2009