We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather & Clothing

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
491 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Weather & Clothing

I leave for Helsinki on Thursday and have been monitoring the weather, trying to figure out what jacket to wear at night, since it is in the low 50s. It seems like it might be a little cooler than normal (??)

Would a light insulated jacket make sense? What to wear at the start and end of the day, when sightseeing? I am limited to 8kg on Finnair so I want to make the right choice.

Beyond that, I will have black jeans and black long sleeve knit tops and a thin black sweater.

I will be in Stockholm, where the weather is the same, and St. Petersburg, which is warmer.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
20 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather & Clothing

Yesterday it was warm, sunny and summer, today it's cold (15 C= 59 F), really rainy and like autumn. It usually anyway gets cold in the evening, so simply take enough of warm clothes.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather & Clothing

The weather is, as we all know, very unpredictable nowadays. Yesterday in Helsinki it was hot, over 21C, today raining cats and dogs, chilly and miserable.

Your best bet to take with you would be an insulated rainproof jacket, perhaps with a hood, good sturdy walking shoes, teeshirts, a fleece with a zip, and a pullover. This way you can dress from the morning until midday, by taking off layers, if needed. Remember, in Helsinki there is always a breeze from the sea. Should you visit inland, it tends to be much warmer.

Enjoy your stay!

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,941 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather & Clothing

If you anyway wear a long sleeve knit top or a sweater, you just need a thin rain/wind proof jacket, insulation would definitely be over doing it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
491 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather & Clothing

Thanks, all. I should note that I am, ahem, a woman, so I get cold. I should have mentioned that because I know many men who don't.

In any case, I think the answer is pack a variety of weights to mix and match - but definitely bring something for rain.

Thanks, all!

5. Re: Weather & Clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:41 am, June 19, 2013