We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another ferry question

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Another ferry question

I am taking the ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn on July 31 and was planning to take the Linda line to save time. According to the forums here I shouldn't book online now because the Linda ferries are cancelled more frequently; however, also according to the forums cancellations in the summer are rare. Should I just book online now? There's not a huge difference is cost - you save 10% by booking online. I was going to take the 21:00 ferry to maximize my time in Helsinki; if that is cancelled there is only one more ferry that day, a Tallink that doesn't get into Tallinn until 12:30 AM. If for some reason I can't get on that ferry I'll be stuck in Helsinki with no hotel and the hotel paid for in Tallinn. Please advise :)

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another ferry question

There's absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to get onto the Tallink ferry on that date - their vessels are big and nearly always have spare capacity. To be on the safe side, don't book ahead with Linda, wait and see if the weather is windy. Cancellations don't usually happen more than a couple of times in the summer season. You could book online from Helsinki on your day of departure after you've checked the weather forecast.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another ferry question

Thank you, I will do that. Is it likely that the Linda crossing will be sold out if we book the day of?

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another ferry question

Very, very unlikely. I've only once had a problem getting on Linda (first Saturday morning of the sailing season - a sunny day and everyone had the same idea as me) and even then I was able to get aboard by paying an extra €10 for a higher class.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another ferry question

Thank you so much for the advice! It's one less thing to worry over :) I'm really looking forward to seeing Helsinki. And shopping in Helsinki.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another ferry question

You're welcome. Enjoy!

6. Re: Another ferry question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:41 am, June 21, 2013