We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helsinki-Tallin LindaLine or TallinkSilja

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Budapest, Hungary
3 posts
Save Topic
Helsinki-Tallin LindaLine or TallinkSilja

I am planning to travel from Helsinki to Tallinn by Linda Line (as it seems the fastest service and its terminal is closest to the city centre), but as I read the forums this service is more often cancelled than the slower ferries. In the middle of June is the cancellation likely? Or shall I choose TallinkSilja, or wait until I arrive to Helsinki and decide on the morning which one to choose?

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helsinki-Tallin LindaLine or TallinkSilja

I would decide when in Helsinki. High waves are not very likely in June. Anyway if you are not planning to travel on Sat morning there will always be tickets available.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helsinki-Tallin LindaLine or TallinkSilja

Cancellations are actually quite rare in the middle of summer. As the bear says, getting your ticket on the day of sailing is a safe option.

Viking Line's terminal in Katajanokka is also close to the city centre and this ferry gives you a close-up view of Suomenlinna fortifications, unlike Tallink. I'd prefer Viking just for the view.

Budapest, Hungary
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Helsinki-Tallin LindaLine or TallinkSilja

Thanks for your answers, I won't purchase tickets in advance and see how the weather looks like on the given day. Do you know how long before departure shall I arrive to the terminal (in order to buy tickets and check-in)?

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helsinki-Tallin LindaLine or TallinkSilja

An hour is safe, 45 minutes enough, 30 is cutting it a bit fine. There can be lines. Boarding early will help you to get a window seat as these fill up fast.

5. Re: Helsinki-Tallin LindaLine or TallinkSilja

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:42 am, June 21, 2013