We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Helsinki

USA, WVa
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
One day in Helsinki

I have only 1.5 days in Helsinki, what are the must sees? I think a guided tour would be best since I am short on time, any recommendations?

Also what is the most cost effective transport from the airport to Hotel Helka?

Thanks in advance

Finland Local Guides
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours
Royal Line
Sightseeing Tours
Free Walking Tours Helsinki
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
London, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Helsinki

You can take a sight seeing tour in Helsinki: a bus tour or a walking tour, for details go to www.helsinkiexpert.fi. There are also boat tours around Helsinki archipelago, they take around an hour and a half, for details go to www.royalline.fi.

Helsinki is a small city, and therefore the places of interest are relatively close to each other. Seurasaari open air museum is great in the Summer. Temppeliaukio Church is worth seeing. The Espalandi Park. is a nice area to have a stroll and sit down for a drink. Right next to Esplanadi you'll find the open air Market which is interesting.Close by is also Senate Square with it's Cathedral and great architecture. The Senate Centre is great for shopping, you'll find nice Finnish souvenirs to take home.

Finland
Level Contributor
174 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Helsinki

Are you into museums at all? There is the Kiasma museum of modern art - also the building is an architectural delight itself..

Ateneum - art mostly from the 19th century.

You can pretty much fit in all major sights in 1.5days.

Transportation from airport to Helka really depends on your luggage. Taxi downtown costs little over EUR 30. The bus is slightly over EUR 3 but then you have to walk about 10-15 minutes from the railwat station to your hotel.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Helsinki

I would recommend you to take a ferry from Kauppatori (Market Square) to visit the fortress island of Suomenlinna. It is beautiful over there and you can enjoy the view of Helsinki from the sea as well.

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
642 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Helsinki

I strongly recommend taking the ferry to Suommenlinna, a popular picnic spot with the locals. You can purchase food right at the outdoor market near the ferry and take it with you. We spent time there in June 2007 and it was the highlight of our day in Helsinki. Of course, we had perfect weather. I would not suggest going if it is stormy.

USA
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Helsinki

I’m not sure if it is still running, but I visited a really interesting exhibition of old photos showing Finnish people and way of life. It as at a place called Tennispalatsi. I’m sure the tourist information can give more information about it. But I recommend seeing this.

Frank

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Helsinki

This photo exhibition at Tennispalatsi is really nice. It is open until 30 September all days except on Monday. Tennispalatsi also happens to be almost next to Hotel Helka!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,664 posts
1,612 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Helsinki

Have a look at my go-list for some good ideas.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i12617-The_Best…

8. Re: One day in Helsinki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, August 12, 2009