We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arctic Ice Bar - will we have time?

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gibraltar, Europe
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
arctic Ice Bar - will we have time?

On our cruise to the Baltic in 2 weeks' time, we would like to visit the Ice Bar. They open at 4 pm and we have to be back on the ship by 5.30 at the very latest (we would prefer 5 pm).

We know that the Ice bar is a short visit (20 - 30 minutes). We want to know how long it would take to get back to the ship docked at Hernasaari/Hanasaari (which spelling is it ?

We think the ice bar is just beside Esplanadi, so is there a taxi rank nearby?

Are taxis always available?

How long does it usually take to travel that distance?

Are there ever traffic jams on the road to Hernasaari?

The ship will not wait for us, so we HAVE to be back. If anyone thinks this journey is a risk, we will cancel the Ice Bar.

Any local knowledge will be very valuable

Helsinki
Level Contributor
294 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arctic Ice Bar - will we have time?

Hi,

The Arctic Ice Bar is situated at Yliopistonkatu 5, which is right in the centre of Helsinki. Their phone number is (09) 278 1855. You enter through Restaurant La Bodega.

What I suggest you to do is to book a time in advance so you will get in when they open at 4 pm. What you could also do just to be sure is to prebook a taxi for 4.30 pm. That can be done by phone number 0100-7300. The taxi will then pick you up outside the bar.

If you leave the bar at 4.30 pm you should have no problem in reaching your ship before 5 pm.

At this time of the year there should be no traffic jams

Gibraltar, Europe
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arctic Ice Bar - will we have time?

That reply was very helpful. We have booked the ice bar, we will book the taxi on the day.

I really needed to know about no traffic jams. We will be able to see on the day if there are any really atypical conditions.

Helsinki
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: arctic Ice Bar - will we have time?

Hi,

there are also shuttle buses between the cruise ship and the center of city. The bus stop is at the western end of Esplanade park, called Erottaja and it is less than 500 meters from the Ice Bar. If I were you I would check at the cruise ship the timetables i.e. when will be the last shuttles back to the ship.

About the traffic jams I would say july is not bad at all - we locals are on vacation.

If you choose the taxi be sure that you have the right name of the dock. Hernesaari is normally the one where the cruisers are. Hanasaari is on the other side of the city center. But I think the taxi drivers know the cruise ships locations very well.

Enjoy your visit to Helsinki!

Gibraltar, Europe
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arctic Ice Bar - will we have time?

I am glad that you told me about the 2 places. I had come across both words and thought that one was a bad spelling of the other. We will now know to be doubly sure. I think we are at the H place that is on the Eastern side of Helsinki, about 7 km out. You are never completely sure anyway because the plans can change.

I will be checking out the time of the last shuttle, and since you say it is close to the Ice Bar, we may well make it. It would be much better to be on the shuttle as once we are on the shuttle, it is sort of like being back on the ship. We are in RCCL hands.

Not missing the ship is so important, i do not think we can just take a taxi round to St Petersburg without a visa !!

Gibraltar, Europe
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: arctic Ice Bar - will we have time?

We will enjoy Helsinki - you have a good vacation

Tampere
Level Contributor
508 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: arctic Ice Bar - will we have time?

Perhaps you could even ask if they could open Ice Bar for you a bit earlier that day so that you could have the full experience? I think they might do it when you explain your reasons. :)

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: arctic Ice Bar - will we have time?

Hi,

you are on Jewel of the Seas? It will dock in Hernesaari/paikka C (code LHC). This is ~2 km from the Ice Bar. You will walk there in 30 mins if necessary, so don't worry about the schedule.

Here's a (rather poor) map of the port: portofhelsinki.fi/content/…

Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: arctic Ice Bar - will we have time?

Hi Gibraltarr -

Are you having a good time - and are you online? We are wanting to visit Helsinki's Arctic Ice Bar, too - have you decided to take a shot with the timing - and are you bringing your teens?

Cheri S

Gibraltar, Europe
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: arctic Ice Bar - will we have time?

Cherie

We visited the Ice Bar - with the teens, and it was really great. We paid 10 euro - The kids paid less (5 or 7 I cannot remember) - and the eldest one sneaked some of her aunt's drink, so she felt she had had a good time !!!

We arrived just before 4 pm. We had booked by email. There were others waiting, so it was good that we had booked, we got in first. This ice bar is smaller than Stockholm and it did not have glasses made of ice - that did not stop it being fun. Being teenagers all the kids want to do it take photos, and they made a change to churches and castles.

The whole trip must have been less than 30 minutes - it was too cold inside to want to stay longer.

We had checked out where the ship shuttle left from , so easily made it back for the 4.45 pm. The last one was at 5 pm. We could not dawdle, but we did not feel rushed - I had had a vodka so I felt life was really easy!

So all in all highly recommended, especially for kids - who don't go much for museums and architecture. I have fond memories of Helsinki.

Thanks for those on the forum who gave advice, I would not have done it without your reassurance.

Sofia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: arctic Ice Bar - will we have time?

Excuse me, can you gve me information about the email so I can make a reservation as well? :)

Thanks in advance!