We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eat like real finn in Helsinki

Well educated biter...
Level Contributor
318 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Eat like real finn in Helsinki

Hi folks!

This is my first post in hopefylly long series of extraordinary hints for foreigners to survive in Finland.

So if you want to taste some ordinary finnish homecooking in Helsinki, head for restaurant Sea Horse at Kapteeninkatu 11.

Among those ordinary steaks and schnitsels there are some pearls on their menu. You might wat to try "Perinteiset lihapullat". A no nonsense serving of meatballs with mash and brown sauce.

Extremist may want to taste "Kaalikääryleet". Cabbage leaves stuffed with mixture of ground meat, rice and onion. Served again with mash and lingonberry jam.

If you fancy fish, go for "Rapeaksi paistetut silakat". Pile of fried small and crispy baltic herrings. To not stand out among natives, do not leave a crumb of fish on your plate. Eat them all, bones, fins and everything. Served again with nice mountain of mash.

Nice light lunch for two is big bowl of "Kermainen lohikeitto". Creamy soup with chunks of salmon, potatoe and onion. Big enough for two to share, just ask for the second plate. Served with toasted traditional finnish rye bread.

Dont count on fancy salads here. You may find ocassional slices of picled cucumber or beetroot on you plate, but that's all for veggies here.

The food is just like my granny used to make it. Simple, quite salty and crammed with butter. Maybe that's why we have a high rate of cardiovascular diseases he in Finland.

To get there just take tram 3T or 3B. Its a circular line.

If you still can eat some dessert, my advice is to take a stroll to "merisatamanranta", few blocks south to grab a cone of icecream, and and enjoy it at the marina there. (considering you are visiting at summertime).

Forgive me for my lousy english grammar.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eat like real finn in Helsinki

Thank you for your post. We will be visiting Helsinki in April and look forward to trying some of your suggestions.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,215 posts
1,448 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eat like real finn in Helsinki

Thanks for this info, we are heading to helsinki in july.....i will save it to my folder.

cheers,

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,198 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eat like real finn in Helsinki

Sea Horse is definitely a place worth seeing. Just don't plan any 'fancy night out'.

Another place you migth want to visit is restaurant Salve (Hietalahdenranta 11). Location is a bit more convenient by the sea at the end of Bulevardi, but menu is a bit more middle class, not quite what it used to be.

Well educated biter...
Level Contributor
318 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eat like real finn in Helsinki

Yes.

Salve's got the reputation. Sadly it was purchased by the SOK-chain. They have the touch, to make mud from gold. They just do it more efficiently, more microvawe.

Salve used to be real sailorjoint some hundred years or so ago. So it's got the heritage. i'm just afraid that it have started it's slide to be another Chico's.

But still for real carnivores, they'v got the freshest tartar steak of the town.

Another nice working class eatery with sipme food is restaurant Weeruska at Porvoonkatu. Not so traditional dishes, but good value for you money.

Manhattan
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Eat like real finn in Helsinki

Ahhh, nothing more satisfying than a dish prepared the way granny used to - it always comes with the aroma of love. Even the loaded calories are likely a protective love born of her childhood memories of starvation dangers.

Thank you for your nicely described hint.

Forgive me on behalf of your fellow citizens in advance of my first trip to Finland this June my lousy Finnish pronunciation. As I prepare the trip I frequently check a pronunciation guide for many pronouns we may encounter Helsinki to Naatamo, but pen and paper and some friendly Finnish fortitude will be needed!

6. Re: Eat like real finn in Helsinki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, August 30, 2009