We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day visit to Oulu

Which Oulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey,England
Level Contributor
179 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
One day visit to Oulu

I will be visiting Oulu, Turku, and Vaasa next month and would be very grateful for any suggestions/recommendations of what to see/visit.

Just one full day in each place (cruise stops)'

i am very interested in meeting people, visiting places of interest e.g. gardens, museums, palaces etc, walking, scenery.

Whereabouts in Oulu are the Botanical Gardens and how much is the entrance fee? Is it walkable from the port?

Thanks.

Oulu, Finland
Level Contributor
74 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day visit to Oulu

I suppose you'll be docking at the Oritkari port in Oulu. It's more of a cargo than a passenger port, and I'd actually expect excursions or transport to be arranged for cruise passengers between the port and the town center. Otherwise it's a 3,5 km walk. The port is not covered by public transport, and there's nothing of tourist interest in the immediate vicinity, though I like the area for bicycle rides personally.

If you mean the University of Oulu Botanical Gardens, they're not a walking distance. The entrance fee is 3 EUR. The bus fare is 3,20. The gardens are closed on Mondays. Bus timetables to/from the University: koskilinjat.fi/aikataulut/paikallisliikenne/…

I'd probably recommend the Hupisaaret park area instead, which is accessible from the market square in the town center. It's home to the Northern Ostrobothnia Museum (also 3 EUR, also closed on Mondays), and the views of the different bridges in the park and crossing the river are nice.

I think the Oulu City Tourist Office website is slightly outdated, but still worth taking a look: http://www.oulutourism.fi/en/

Surrey,England
Level Contributor
179 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day visit to Oulu

Thank you so much for all your information.

Guess what - we will be arriving there on a Monday so I think it will be a walk to and around the Hupisaaret Park. I will also take a look at the Tourist Office website which you have Kindly supplied.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day visit to Oulu

There's also another website about tourism in Oulu: www.ouluon.fi . The Hupisaaret City Park used to be the home for the botanical gardens until mid 80's when they were moved to the Linnanmaa Campus Area some 7 km north of the centre. The admission fee is only for the greenhouses - the open air gardens are free (and open also on Mondays).

Surrey,England
Level Contributor
179 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day visit to Oulu

Thank you very much.

I have used the website you provided and gained further helpful information

5. Re: One day visit to Oulu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, February 13, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Oulu