We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How are Finns?

Barcelona, Spain
1 post
1 review
How are Finns?

Hey everybody!

I am planning to visit Finland soon and I want to be in close contact with the local population. But I am not really sure how Finns actually are? Is it easy to get in touch with them, are they open to let you know more about their culture and habits?

I don't know how you feel about it, but nobody really knows how Finns are, right!?

I'm happy for every experience/knowledge you can share.

Thanks in advance!!

Cheers from Barcelona

Max

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
3,179 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: How are Finns?

Well, this thread is bound to be a classic :D How would you describe the Spanish?

Welcome to TripAdvisor, by the way.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
9,461 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: How are Finns?

Finns are fine, and thank you for asking.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
33,728 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: How are Finns?

Ever heard of the strong and silent type ? I suppose that could apply to quite a few finns (and Norwegians and Icelandic). And there could be a language barrier.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
919 posts
90 reviews
4. Re: How are Finns?

As you can read from comments above Finns have a bit weird sense of humour. If you want to hear views of an American living in Finland, see

theatlantic.com/international/…

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
3,179 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: How are Finns?

Max, you don't tell us your age, but I'm guessing 20something...

If you visit our country soon, you'll find us in the middle of winter and business as usual. That means people are going about on their everyday chores and business, not lounging around and while rushing in the slush we aren't that much available to casual chat with our visitors. An overwhelming style of communication or hospitability is not our style. However if you approach people first you'll likely find someone who speaks fluent english and is happy to give you directions or advice. Our service industry is somewhat spartan (due to taxing and price of labour) and with a no-nonsense approach that some interpret as unfriendly.

My advise is to meet people in bars (alcohol makes some chatty) or the cafes, especially in Punavuori or Kallio. the hip areas for hipster age professionals or then in a public sauna. Just be brave and make the first move.

Edited: 2:20 am, February 06, 2015
Europe
Level Contributor
357 posts
6. Re: How are Finns?

Finns are great hosts, once you get to know them. They are also probably the only ones in the world that you can almost be sure to get naked with strange people just few hours after you meet them as you expected to get to the sauna :) However, to experience this you often need to get to the countryside and rural areas, in Helsinki, most likely the best is to get into the pubs and drink as much as you can. Be aware that locals, including the girls can drink twice as faster than you can, so practice a bit at home before you get to Finland ;-)

Helsinki, Finland
3 posts
7. Re: How are Finns?

Hi Max,

Like in every nation and in every country you can meet nice and not so nice people. So are with Finnish too. Finns are usually calm, calculative with good sense of humor. At first glace they can seem even boring, but it's a wrong impression, espessially then they had a couple of beers or smth stronger ;) Then can things go really interesting :) I've personnaly read from here http://lifeinfinland.net/about/ a bit more about Finland and Finns. Hopefully you'll find something useful too from there. Oh, almost would have forgotten - wear yourself warmly - there are quite windy and cold, at least until April :)

8. Re: How are Finns?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 08, 2016