We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting IKEA

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
448 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting IKEA

Hello Gothenburg expert,

I am going to stay in Radisson Blu at Sodra Hamngatan 59-65 during my visit at Gothenburg.

I would like to visit IKEA store nearby.

Can someone tell me how to go there via public transportation please? I know there are 2 stores nearby. Which one is easily to reach from the hotel I mentioned above.

Thank you.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
457 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting IKEA

IKEA Kållered - walk to the central station, take the Kungsbackapendeln commuter train to Kållered (departs every half hour at xx.17 and xx.47 from track 14-16), then a five minutes walk from the station to IKEA.

IKEA Bäckebol - walk to Polhemsplatsen bus stop, take the number 43 bus to Bäckebol norra, right outside IKEA. You could also take any tram or bus to Hjalmar Brantingsplatsen and change to the number 40 bus to Bäckebol norra.

Edited: 9:19 pm, June 15, 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
615 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting IKEA

Note that Kållered is outside of Gothenburg so the ticket is slightly more expensive.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
448 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting IKEA

Thanks for the replies. :)

It seems that IKEA Bäckebol is closer so I would want to go to this one instead.

Where exactly is the bus stop? Is it opposite to Scandic Crown Hotel at Polhemsplatsen? I try to look at it from Google Map but it is not clear to me.

How much is the bus fare for 2 adults and 1 nine year old?

How to I pay for the bus fare?

It seems number 43 bus can also reach IKEA Bäckebol. Is it true?

Which bus is better in terms of the traveling time? 42 or 43?

Sorry for so much questions. This is my first time in Gothenburg. :)

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
457 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting IKEA

Yes, Bäckebol is closer but it's faster to get to Kållered. If you go to Kållered, the price is SEK 33 for adult and SEK 25 for child, you can pay with cash or credit card to the train conductor.

To Bäckebol it will cost SEK 22 for adult and SEK 17 for child. You can not buy your ticket at the bus, you have to buy it in advance at Västtrafik customer service or at a Pressbyrån or 7-eleven.

If you have the Gothenburg City Card, transportation is included to both Kållered and Bäckebol.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
457 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting IKEA

Sorry, I forgot to answer your other question; the bus stop Polhemsplatsen is between the Scandic Crown and the railway tracks, outside the entrance to Göteborgs-Posten office building.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
448 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting IKEA

Thanks. Is it a bus terminal or simply a bus stop?

How can I buy a single ticket for a round trip?

Like you said, I have to buy them in advance, right?

I am a little bit confused..

Thanks again.

Linkoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting IKEA

"You can not buy your ticket at the bus, you have to buy it in advance at Västtrafik customer service or at a Pressbyrån or 7-eleven."

I'm guessing it's a bus stop. Don't worry. Everything will be alright.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
457 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting IKEA

As i wrote earlier, you can't buy anything at all on the bus or at the bus stop, you need to go to a Västtrafik customer service or a reseller such as 7-eleven or Pressbyrån. The nearest Västtrafik customer service is on Drottningtorget, on your way from Radisson Blu to Polhemsplatsen. There are Pressbyrån and 7-eleven almost everywhere in the city center so buying a ticket won't be a problem. The single ticket for one zone is valid for 90 minutes.

If you decide to go to Kållered instead, that single ticket is valid for 180 minutes because it's in two zones.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
448 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting IKEA

Wow. Thanks again..

It seems that there is a Pressbyrån closed to the hotel.

Can I also buy round trip tickets from Pressbyrån?

Can I buy bus tickets with credit cards at Pressbyrån? Or only cash?

What do you mean "valid for 90 minutes"? Do you mean from the time

I ride the bus? Or the time I purchase the tickets?

Is it a paper ticket? What's the procedure for riding bus? Just show the ticket to the bus driver?

Sorry. I am a little bit nervous in a different country. :)

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
457 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting IKEA

There is a Pressbyrån right next to the Västtrafik customer service in the round shaped building on Drottningtorget (right outside the hotel). If this is the Pressbyrån You had in mind, there is no reason to use Pressbyrån instead of Västtrafik customer service. Västtrafik is the public transportation company in Gothenburg so they will be best at helping you out. They're used to tourists and can advice you on which tickets to buy and how to use them.

You can use credit card at both Pressbyrån and Västtrafik customer service.

The ticket is a thin plastic card that you validate by holding it against a card reader on the bus. There are no round trip tickets but the single ticket is valid for 90 minutes from when you validate it the first time.

You can board the bus in any door, then just show your card to the card reader.

If you're gonna use public transportation more during your stay in Gothenburg, the single ticket isn't the most economical option. Consider buying a 24 hour-card (SEK 70) or a 72 hour-card (SEK 140). Then you have unlimited travel on all trams, buses and ferries in Gothenburg. With this card (but not with the single ticket) you can bring three children with no extra charge. (Note that if you buy this card and decide to go to Kållered, you have to pay extra on the train for the part of the trip outside of Gothenburg.)

I made a map for you. Use the satellite image mode and it will all be clear to you. maps.google.com/maps/ms…