We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can I get from Gothenburg City Airport to Tjorn?

Which Gothenburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
How can I get from Gothenburg City Airport to Tjorn?

Hi

I am arriving at Gothenburg City Airport on a Friday night and need to get to the island of Tjorn, but we don't want to get a taxi. Is there a train or bus we can get without having to go into Gothenburg city centre and out again?

All advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Gothenburg, Sweden
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How can I get from Gothenburg City Airport to Tjorn?

Hi

To the best of my knowledge (and google-ability) I think you're going to have to go to the city centre first. (and take the Tjörn-Express bus from there)

Also, on most busses and trams in Gothenburg you can no longer pay in cash on the bus, you'll have to get a bus-pass in advance. The bus-pass system is new and complicated and everyone hates it (with checking in, checking out, going across zones, adding passengers... yuck!) but just ask the bus driver what to do when you get on the bus.

The system hasn't been implemented on all busses, so you might be able to pay in cash on the Tjörn-express if you are lucky. In that case, you might be able to avoid the bus-pass system completely, if you take the special Airport-bus to the city centre instead of the public busses.

Sorry to have confused you even more, if no one posts the additional info on the Tjörn-express, here is the phone number to the bus company, they will be more than happy to answer any of your bus related questions ;) +46 771-41 43 00

Airport buses: goteborgairport.se/eng/…buss.asp (not affiliated with the public bus company)

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
607 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How can I get from Gothenburg City Airport to Tjorn?

It also depends where on Tjörn you are going. If you take the Airport bus you can hopefully get off and at Hjalmar Brantingsplatsen and change to the Red Express for Tjörn. Depending on where youäre going you might have to change bus in Stenungsund.

Another option would be to go into the city centre and take the train to Stenungsund and then change to bus. Check out your options here and use the travelplanner here http://www.vasttrafik.se/en/.

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How can I get from Gothenburg City Airport to Tjorn?

Many thanks for this - really helpful. Especially about the no cash on buses! Will have to remember that.

Cheers

4. Re: How can I get from Gothenburg City Airport to Tjorn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 20, 2011