We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help plan a trip to Sweden and [Denmark or Norway?]

Which Gothenburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Help plan a trip to Sweden and [Denmark or Norway?]

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Gothenborg, Sweden, for myself, husband, and an almost 4 year old son, to pick up a new Volvo in August. I am thinking of driving to Copenhagen and spending time exploring the countryside in Denmark. I am tempted to play it by ear, but would like to at least map out a direction. The alternative itinerary would be Gothenborg to Bergen, Norway, to see the fjords, with a stop-over in Oslo. The attraction in Copenhagen is Tivoli and possibly LegoLand. Any ideas or suggestions?

Mjolby, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help plan a trip to Sweden and [Denmark or Norway?]

Hi!

I would absolutely go for Noway and the fjords.

It's a breathtaking experience and will for sure be a memory for life.

Oslo is also a very nice experience, beautiful and very friendly city.

Denmark and Copenhagen is also very nice but the fjords can't really be beaten in my opinion.

Best regards

Jörgen

Göteborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
131 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help plan a trip to Sweden and [Denmark or Norway?]

While I do agree that the fjords in Norway are outstanding I think that with a four year old I would perhaps choose Denmark. Legoland is a real treat for a child and Denmark also has lots of sand beaches suitable for children to play at. I do however prefer Gothenburg's amusement park Liseberg to Tivoli in Copenhagen.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help plan a trip to Sweden and [Denmark or Norway?]

Thank you both for your input. I am thinking of just going to Copenhagen and Oslo, in addition to Gothenburg. 3 countries and 3 fabulous cities should be enough. Perhaps, we'll tour some of Danish countryside, next to Copenhagen.

Gothenburg
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help plan a trip to Sweden and [Denmark or Norway?]

If you are driving, Denmark is a far more realistic option given that you have a little kid in the car. The norwegian roads to Bergen are pretty narrow and slow to navigate. The trip is longer than the map would let on.

Göteborg
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help plan a trip to Sweden and [Denmark or Norway?]

Since Legoland is on mainland Denmark, one alternative would be to go by boat from Oslo to Fredrikshavn in Denmark. The trip is overnight and costs (including cabin) 2115 SEK on August 10th. (saves a hotel night and backtracking)

Then you could go:

- Gothenburg (Liseberg, Universeum)

- Driving north along the Bohuslän coast (a lot to see depending on your interests)

- Oslo

- Ferry to Denmark

- Possibly visit Skagen

- Driving south on Denmark mainland to Legoland (close to Kolding)

- Copenhagen

- Bridge to Sweden

- Drive north along the Halland coast of Sweden back to Göteborg

How many days do you plan to spend on the trip?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help plan a trip to Sweden and [Denmark or Norway?]

At this point we are thinking of spending 7 days altogether. One day in Gothenburg, then drive to Copenhagen and hang out there for 3-4 days, go back to Gothenburg and do a day trip to Oslo. What do you think?

Göteborg
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help plan a trip to Sweden and [Denmark or Norway?]

Doing a day trip to Oslo means a lot of driving - about 7 hours on one day!

I would spend more time in Oslo and Göteborg. Copenhagen is very nice, but I´d spend two days in each city. (Unless you want to go to Legoland, wich takes at least one full day. Then the ferry from Oslo would be a good idea.)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help plan a trip to Sweden and [Denmark or Norway?]

Jessika, thank you for pointing it out. Perhaps, we will stay overnight in Oslo. I am still trying to figure out what to see given our limited time in Scandinavia. it also might be our one and only trip to these countries for a while, so we are trying to get as much done as possible.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help plan a trip to Sweden and [Denmark or Norway?]

Here is my new itinerary: Goteborg - Copenhagen (3-4 days) - Stockholm (2 days)- Uppsala - Orebro-Goteborg. Any suggestions on places to stay in Copenhagen or stockholm?

Gothenburg
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help plan a trip to Sweden and [Denmark or Norway?]

Wow, hope you don't have a high blood pressure... That's a very tight schedule.