We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,495 posts
206 reviews
Save Topic
Gothenburg questions

Preparing for a trip this summer and I have a few miscellaneous questions: I have heard that it is now possible to buy some medicine in supermarkets. Is this aspirin, cold medicine, etc.? Are supermarkets open outside of regular pharmacy hours, ie., in the evening? Also, my spouse will be at a conference all week and our little son and I will be visiting museums, parks, Liseberg, etc. Are there cafes or other places to eat (but not fast food) where it is common to see other parents with small children? I am thinking of doing a few picnics, but I like to eat out as well.

Göteborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
135 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gothenburg questions

Yes the medicine you can buy in supermarkets is mostly aspirin and cold medicine and you can get it at all the opening hours. They don't sell any prescription drugs. It is not hard to find a supermarket open from7 am to 11 pm. Note that when it come to cold medicine we don't have the same combination medicines (with more than one active substance) that I know they have in UK and I suppose exists in USA as well. So if you or your child has a favourite perhaps bring some to be on the safe side.

It is very common to see parents with small children in cafes and restaurants at day time! (We call them "latte-mothers") ;-) Some places limits the number of strollers they allow inside at one time, but I doubt you will have a problem finding suitable places.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
627 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gothenburg questions

Some of the more popular places to go to with small kids are:

Åhlens café (inside the shoppingcentre Nordstan), nursingroom with changingtable available

Dahls bakeshop on the second floor of the shopping centre Arkaden

Most of the cafés along Linnégatan, especially café Opera.

Espresso House in the departmentstore NK (changintable available on the lower floor)

Belparc in Slottskogen

Have a nice trip!

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,495 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gothenburg questions

Thank you both for the info and advice on where to go. I will bring along our own medications, but it is good to know that there are shops open late, just in case.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,495 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gothenburg questions

One other question: Where in Gothenburg can I find shops selling Swedish brand children's clothing? I know of H & M because I shop there often here at home. I am looking for other Swedish chains that are not international or for small boutiques. If anyone can help with suggestions, that would be great. (This is assuming we actually make it over there this summer. We're booked on Icelandair and I am having serious doubts with all the cancelled flights and frequent Keflavik closures).

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
627 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gothenburg questions

Lindex is another Swedish store, a bit like H&M but no menswear. You can check out the collection on www.lindex.se/ click on "Barn" You will find Lindex in most shoppingcentres and along Kungsgatan.

Another classic Swedish brand is Polarn & Pyret, also called PoP. Colorful, a bit retro and lots of unisexclothes. Their outerwear is very durable. Check out www.polarnopyret.se/startpage.aspx… They have maternitywear as well. There are several location, Nordstan (the shopping centre) as well as Vallgatann (paralell to Kungsgatan)

Granit has a few tshirts etc. if you're into that kind of style. http://www.granit.se/?id=2816 I like their other stuff very much. There is a store opposite NK.

If your looking for more unique brands, check out Milla and Molly on Drottninggatan

http://www.millamolly.se

Good luck!

Göteborg
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gothenburg questions

I recommend a visit to Haga, where you can find nice small shops (toys, clothes, gifts, second hand, etc) and cafés in a pittoresque environment. If you look at "Haga Nygata" in the street view in Google maps you´ll see what it´s like. There are also playgrounds if your child is that age.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,495 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gothenburg questions

Thank you very much for the links and for the Haga suggestion. I checked out all the links and love the PoP clothes, they look really cute and Lindex looks like a good affordable store. Am hoping that we will be able to hit some summer sales while we are there!

8. Re: Gothenburg questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, November 17, 2010